Switch to homeschooling while on probation for truancy? (MO)

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Switch to homeschooling while on probation for truancy? (MO)

Postby sandman619 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:13 am

So, I live in Missouri and I am currently on probation for truancy. I was wondering if it would be legal for me to switch to homeschooling before the start of the new school year.

Postby Theodore » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Hmm. Would probably depend on the specific wording of the court decision. You are not truant if you are homeschooling, and Missouri is generally a very easy place to homeschool in, but given a prior truancy conviction, they may have set things up in such a way that you are forced to attend public school. I can't give you specific guidance because everything I'm finding is about homeschooling first and truancy proceedings second, not the other way around.

My advice, short of having you type in the truancy documents so I can see the wording, is to contact Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), as they're lawyers who specialize in this sort of thing and will undoubtedly know the answer.

Postby amom26 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:43 pm

sandman619, what did you end up finding out about your situation? I'm going through something similar. I am not on probation though, I am newly charged awaiting my first court date. I want to withdraw, not to get rid of the charges (though I won't lie, that would be a great bonus) but because I believe with my whole heart it would be beneficial for my child.

Return to “Homeschool Law”