Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to homeschool-have some questions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikesell04
User

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: New to homeschool-have some questions! Reply with quote

Hi~from Arkansas, we are new to Homeschool, but this is something I've wanted to do for a long time. My daughter is 9 and going into 4th grade. My son is 7 and going into 2nd grade. I have filed my notice of intent and am waiting for finalized email.
I thought I had a great plan. We would start mid July and HS year round taking short breaks through out the year. I was going to order Alpha Omega Lifepac Christian Curriculum for both 2nd and 4th grade. I have not ordered either yet. For both set it's going to cost $600.. Yikes!! I could buy one now and one next month.
I have also heard if kids are within 2 yrs apart to just teach them the same curriculum?? What your opinions on this? Truth is my son passed 1st with all a's and my daughter passed 4th with c's and 2)d's. Would you recommend putting them both in 3rd grade? I do want to be sure my daughter learns what is needed for testing.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New to homeschool-have some questions! Reply with quote

Mikesell04 wrote:
Hi~from Arkansas, we are new to Homeschool, but this is something I've wanted to do for a long time. My daughter is 9 and going into 4th grade. My son is 7 and going into 2nd grade. I have filed my notice of intent and am waiting for finalized email.

I thought I had a great plan. We would start mid July and HS year round taking short breaks through out the year. I was going to order Alpha Omega Lifepac Christian Curriculum for both 2nd and 4th grade. I have not ordered either yet. For both set it's going to cost $600.. Yikes!! I could buy one now and one next month.

I have also heard if kids are within 2 yrs apart to just teach them the same curriculum?? What your opinions on this? Truth is my son passed 1st with all a's and my daughter passed 4th with c's and 2)d's. Would you recommend putting them both in 3rd grade? I do want to be sure my daughter learns what is needed for testing.

Well, Alpha Omega is not my favorite, not for all subjects. I like to have a variety of things going on. Smile

You could easily teach things like history and science together, because those are really not skills based. You'd want to teach them individually when it comes to things like math and English skills.

Actually, homeschooled children really aren't in grades, are they? When it's necessary to label them as specific grade levels, I would absolutely use the ones they would have been in if they had continued in school, BUT they would do their Official School Stuff at the levels they are capable of.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: