Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the point of church?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottyK
User

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: What's the point of church? Reply with quote

As with most people on this forum, my wife and I homeschool our kids. Part of that obviously shelters them from the influence of the culture they would get in the public schools.

My question is why do we do such a good job with our kids during the week, then on Sunday we go against everything we do during the week? We dump them into an age centered class, and they are among all the influences that we keep them from during the week.

At our church my kids (ages 10 and younger) are the only ones who are homeschooled. They are the only ones without cell phones, who don't listen to the pop culture, watch the favorite shows, etc.

In two years my daughter will be old enough to join the youth group. She has absolutely nothing in common with the kids there.

What do other parents do? I'm thinking of just skipping the whole youth group thing and let them hang out with us adults.

Advice? Suggestions?
ggmsb
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the point of church? Reply with quote

ScottyK wrote:
As with most people on this forum, my wife and I homeschool our kids. Part of that obviously shelters them from the influence of the culture they would get in the public schools.

My question is why do we do such a good job with our kids during the week, then on Sunday we go against everything we do during the week? We dump them into an age centered class, and they are among all the influences that we keep them from during the week.

At our church my kids (ages 10 and younger) are the only ones who are homeschooled. They are the only ones without cell phones, who don't listen to the pop culture, watch the favorite shows, etc.

In two years my daughter will be old enough to join the youth group. She has absolutely nothing in common with the kids there.

What do other parents do? I'm thinking of just skipping the whole youth group thing and let them hang out with us adults.

Advice? Suggestions?

I agree 100% that's why we plan on keeping our kiddos with us once they are 5...and our current church only has childcare for kids 5 and under anyway! But even if we move, I plan on doing that. I would love to keep them even younger...but I don't think they are mature enough to stay, and I would not be getting much of the preaching. I may start slowly transitioning her next year when she's 4 1/2. You should watch the documentary DIVIDED...I think it's available for free on vemeo. It changed my view on "children's church" youth groups and so on...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: