Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

working mom planning to homeschool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crystal2631
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: working mom planning to homeschool Reply with quote

I am hoping to get a little help in the curriculum department. I am getting extremely overwhelmed at this point. This will be my 6 yo's last year in public school - 1st grade. I would like to start homeschooling during the summer. As a working mom, I was originally thinking I would buy a box curriculum because of it's ease, but now I am thinking I would rather purchase each subject individually just in case something doesn't work well for my daughter. I still need each subject to be basically open and go - very little prep work from me. Not only because I work, but because my husband will have to teach multiple days a week as well so it would be easier to just tell him - we're on page ##. I really am looking for any advice in all subjects. Anything you've loved. Really the ONLY prerequisite is that it is as open and go and it possibly can be.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of open-and-go subject-based curriculums, but a lot of this depends on your daughter's learning style. I did well with Saxon Math, for instance, as did many of my siblings, but some other people find it a bit dry. Best advice I can give you is to go somewhere where you can browse a number of different options - either a local homeschool support group meeting, or better yet, a homeschool convention, since we're coming into the convention season:
http://www.home-school.com/groups/
http://www.home-school.com/events/
mrsd
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 6yo, Saxon will work better if you give her a good foundation in math skills. Also, once she can read, she can use and student intensive curriculum with very little work needed on your or your husband's part. Check out the philosophies on www.robinsoncurriculum.com and www.connectthethoughts.com. We switched to Robinson 2 years ago and haven't looked back.
jackhenry
User

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: math concepts Reply with quote

The most difficult thing with math is in teaching concepts instead of procedures. Conceptual Learning Materials (http://www.conceptuallearning.com) was developed by a veteran Montessori teacher specifically for this purpose. Hope this helps someone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: