working mom planning to homeschool

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

crystal2631
User

working mom planning to homeschool

Postby crystal2631 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:38 pm

I am hoping to get a little help in the curriculum department. I am getting extremely overwhelmed at this point. This will be my 6 yo's last year in public school - 1st grade. I would like to start homeschooling during the summer. As a working mom, I was originally thinking I would buy a box curriculum because of it's ease, but now I am thinking I would rather purchase each subject individually just in case something doesn't work well for my daughter. I still need each subject to be basically open and go - very little prep work from me. Not only because I work, but because my husband will have to teach multiple days a week as well so it would be easier to just tell him - we're on page ##. I really am looking for any advice in all subjects. Anything you've loved. Really the ONLY prerequisite is that it is as open and go and it possibly can be.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:47 am

mrsd
User

Postby mrsd » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:52 pm

At 6yo, Saxon will work better if you give her a good foundation in math skills. Also, once she can read, she can use and student intensive curriculum with very little work needed on your or your husband's part. Check out the philosophies on www.robinsoncurriculum.com and www.connectthethoughts.com. We switched to Robinson 2 years ago and haven't looked back.
Soaps, stories 'n' stuff - www.mrsdshomestead.com
Travel, pilgrimage, spirituality - www.catholictraveller.com

jackhenry
User

math concepts

Postby jackhenry » Sat May 03, 2014 9:04 pm

The most difficult thing with math is in teaching concepts instead of procedures. Conceptual Learning Materials (http://www.conceptuallearning.com) was developed by a veteran Montessori teacher specifically for this purpose. Hope this helps someone.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”