Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Struggling Kindergartener

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JennVat
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Struggling Kindergartener Reply with quote

My kindergarten son has been working on very basic addition for some time now (3-4 months). I am concerned that he seems to be making little to no progress and seems to exhibit no number sense that would indicate to him that his answers don't make sense.

For instance, one of the basic adding skills we've covered is plus one to any number. He can tell me what one more than any given number is, but when I turn it into a plus one problem (4 +1) he has to draw dots or I have to rephrase the problem by saying "If you have four cookies, how many would you have if I gave you one more). After a while of doing that he will understand (for a time) what plus one means, but will then generalize the plus one rule to ANY addition problem. For instance, if I then say (what is 4+3) he will immediately answer "5!!" Then when I ask him to use blocks or draw dots, he can get the right answer, but I have to reteach the same information over and over again and I am afraid to move on.

We are using Math-U-See. Right now we are taking a break from adding and are doing patterns, even though those are not in the Math-U-See curriculum. The kids all enjoy patterns and I can adapt it for my older and younger child so we are taking a fun break.

My son can count to 100 and did well in place value (although, now I question how well he REALLY understood it). Does anyone have experience with this? Is this normal for his age? Any advice? My oldest son (1st grade) blew through math with no problems, so this is hard for me to grasp. Thanks
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At his age, it isn't really the end of the world. Some children grasp the concepts later than others, but it's possible to go from elementary math all the way through high school math in just a few years, so he still has plenty of time left. For now, I'd suggest having him visualize the math problems by using one hand for the first number and the other hand for the second number and then counting how many fingers total he has up (obviously, you'll have to stick with numbers 1-5). Eventually he'll hopefully be able to start taking shortcuts in his head and then the fingers won't be necessary any more. You and I probably have it all memorized by rote to the point where we can arrive at the answer instantly without bothering to think about -why- it works that way.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling Kindergartener Reply with quote

JennVat wrote:
My kindergarten son has been working on very basic addition for some time now (3-4 months). I am concerned that he seems to be making little to no progress and seems to exhibit no number sense that would indicate to him that his answers don't make sense.

For instance, one of the basic adding skills we've covered is plus one to any number. He can tell me what one more than any given number is, but when I turn it into a plus one problem (4 +1) he has to draw dots or I have to rephrase the problem by saying "If you have four cookies, how many would you have if I gave you one more). After a while of doing that he will understand (for a time) what plus one means, but will then generalize the plus one rule to ANY addition problem. For instance, if I then say (what is 4+3) he will immediately answer "5!!" Then when I ask him to use blocks or draw dots, he can get the right answer, but I have to reteach the same information over and over again and I am afraid to move on.

We are using Math-U-See. Right now we are taking a break from adding and are doing patterns, even though those are not in the Math-U-See curriculum. The kids all enjoy patterns and I can adapt it for my older and younger child so we are taking a fun break.

My son can count to 100 and did well in place value (although, now I question how well he REALLY understood it). Does anyone have experience with this? Is this normal for his age? Any advice? My oldest son (1st grade) blew through math with no problems, so this is hard for me to grasp. Thanks

Seems to me to be completely normal for a 5yo.

My advice would be to try really hard not to compare him to his older brother Smile and to really back off on formal math instruction for a few months.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: