Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Affordable online high school programs??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opie103
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Affordable online high school programs?? Reply with quote

My daughter is currently a sophomore in high school, and I am finding it to be a complete joke. In her Spanish class last year the students were so unruly that the teacher finally just gave up. She would make idle threats to send the students to the Principal's office, but never backed up her threats. The rest of the year was spent with the kids doing whatever they wanted, and the teacher just sitting there, staring into space. This year is not much different, but in addition to the poor learning environment, she is now ridiculed and comes home crying. I am looking at online high schools, but they are SO expensive! Do any of you use an affordable online high school program, where they actually teach the student? I have been checking into this, but the ones I have found are ridiculously expensive ($15,000?!!) Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought of teaching her/working with her yourself? There are many free online resources that you can use for homeschooling high school. It's not as difficult as you might think. Here is a link:

http://hslda.org/highschool/default.asp

Most states have free online public school, but please keep in mind, it is still public school. Here is a link:

http://www.k12.com/
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hscoach wrote:
Most states have free online public school, but please keep in mind, it is still public school.

To clarify, many states have charter schools which are Internet-based and provide K12 "materials." Students are considered public school students, not homeschooled (or private school, depending on the state) students.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
ptcbass
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am homeschooling a high schooler and have been looking into online classes for next year. There is Bridgeway Academy and Alpha Omega Academy. I think both offer teacher support and don't require the parent to teach. I know Alpha Omega Academy is all online. I think Bridgeway may be partial books where you will still have to grade some work. I am not sure though. Both cost around $3000 for a year. They will give you a quote based on your needs and how many classes you take. Good luck with your search!
LisaG
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Cheap online High school Reply with quote

My daughter is attending American High School. They are fully accredited and less than 1500.00/year. You can even pay in installments. My daughter loves the program and I love that I can monitor her and keep track of her attendance and assignments. We have been there for 8 months now and she is about to start the 10th grade. Great program, love the teachers and counselors! Www.virtualedu.org is the website for them is you are interested. Good Luck!
robertgraves
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Online High School Reply with quote

We took your advice and enrolled in American High School's virtualedu.org and so far so good. They have been very responsive. After enrollment they gave My son and I a terrific orientation and he was able to start right away. So far he has needed help in Chemistry and Geometry, but he has just skyped the teachers with his specific questions, they get answered, and then he can move on. We had been struggling for a long time at the public school here and we didn't know what else to do. Thank God there is another option for kids.
Bedelopret
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good and informative exchange .. Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: