Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New homeschooler requires help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andreawqh
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: New homeschooler requires help Reply with quote

I'm new homeschooler, and i'm now very confused about what curriculum to choose. Is there a standarized courses for homeschoolers, and if I want to apply for college, is there any standarized test other than SAT, ACT. specially made for homeschoolers to take?
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. Homeschooling ranges from packaged curricula, to subject-specific textbooks, to coursework compiled from the Internet. Really depends on what method you find works best for you. I'm visual, so textbooks worked fairly well, and I bought materials by course instead of going with a packaged curriculum (not enough flexibility). I took some community college courses, some online courses, etc. The one thing I can say with confidence is that you want to standardized test in as many subjects as possible - CLEP, if available, or AP if not. You will also want to take the SAT and/or the ACT. Colleges like homeschoolers, but they can compare you against everyone else a lot more easily if you test and hand them a simple metric, rather than trying to put together a portfolio of work.
Andreawqh
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, can you suggest me any good textbooks like published by which press Very Happy
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I put all my textbooks in storage or sold them years ago, so I can't really tell you anything specific. Any major college textbook will probably work, and I do recommend taking community college courses for things like Calculus or lab science. You also want to look up sample tests online or buy a test prep book before taking CLEP or AP, it'll help identify weak areas and improve your test scores. For instance, I crammed for two weeks for the biology CLEP, then took a sample test and discovered I was weak in the areas of Mendellian genetics and general biology (trees, etc.), so I went back and studied for another day. Got 72/80 on the exam.

A number of top universities have put their course materials online for free, btw, for instance MIT and Harvard. You could try that for upper-level courses;
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: