California Homeschool laws?

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Nicole333
User

California Homeschool laws?

Postby Nicole333 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:35 pm

I would love to be able to talk to someone about this, instead of reading the laws online. It isn't exactly straightforward. My girls are young (4 and 2), but we have been homeschooling really since they were babies. And we have no plans to put them in public school. We just moved to California from Washington. Is there anything Im supposed to do at this age? California is quite a bit more strict so what exactly do i have to do to be able to Homeschool my children here? thanks!
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
-Albert Einstein

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:16 pm

If you choose the option of setting up your own private school, then it looks like you don't need to do anything until they are 6 years old. Here is a quote from californiahomeschool.net:

"From the website of the California Department of Education:
Who should file a Private School Affidavit?
Persons, firms, associations, partnerships, or corporations offering or conducting full-time day school at the elementary or high school level for students between the ages of 6 and 18 years."

Here is the link:

http://californiahomeschool.net/howTo/p ... TF2010.pdf

Nicole333
User

Postby Nicole333 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:08 am

thank you for that link
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

-Albert Einstein

elliemaejune
User

Re: California Homeschool laws?

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Nicole333 wrote:I would love to be able to talk to someone about this, instead of reading the laws online. It isn't exactly straightforward. My girls are young (4 and 2), but we have been homeschooling really since they were babies. And we have no plans to put them in public school. We just moved to California from Washington. Is there anything Im supposed to do at this age? California is quite a bit more strict so what exactly do i have to do to be able to Homeschool my children here? thanks!

Complusory school age is 6 by December 2. You are not obligated to do anything until the fall when your dd is 6.

I don't know how California could be more "strict" than Washington. Here is what you must do: File an affidavit annually between October 1 and 15. The end. No testing, no teacher qualifications, no minimum number of school days or hours, no nothin'.

Here is the long story:

Children in California must be enrolled in a public school or a private school, or tutored full-time by a credentialed teacher.

Private schools are unregulated by the state, other than having to file the affidavit annually.

Most homeschoolers file their own affidavits. The affidavit doesn't include children's names, only how many children in each grade.

There are some private schools which only enroll homeschooled children. The administrators of those schools file the affidavit (and come up with their own requirements). Homeschoolers enroll their dc in those schools instead of filing their own affidavits. Those private schools are referred to as Private School Satellite Programs. It is not necessary to enroll with a PSP; it isn't more legal or anything. Mainly it just makes you anonymous (because you don't file an affidavit with only 1 or 2 children, which clearly shows that you're a homeschooler), and some homeschoolers want to be anonymous.

In the past some counties were more hostile to homeschoolers, so enrolling the dc in a PSP was useful. However, there was a court case a few years ago which decided that it was legal for parents to file their own affidavits and teach their children at home.

So the short story is this: file an affidavit between October 1 and 15. The end.

Or enroll in a PSP if you think it offers services you want.

That is all. :)
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

homeschoolcupcake
User

Postby homeschoolcupcake » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 pm

hscoach wrote:If you choose the option of setting up your own private school, then it looks like you don't need to do anything until they are 6 years old. Here is a quote from californiahomeschool.net:

"From the website of the California Department of Education:
Who should file a Private School Affidavit?
Persons, firms, associations, partnerships, or corporations offering or conducting full-time day school at the elementary or high school level for students between the ages of 6 and 18 years."

Here is the link:

http://californiahomeschool.net/howTo/p ... TF2010.pdf

Thank you for the link!!!! I have been home schooling my kids with my own little preschool and a relative told me that I don't have to register myself as a school until my oldest is 6, but this link gives so much information that I can get my paperwork in order ahead of time. I love this!!! Thank you so much! You Rock! :D
Raising Home School Cupcakes from Scratch

margaretdavid
User

homeschoolcupcake

Postby margaretdavid » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:01 pm

California will provide a world-class education

davidharper
User

Postby davidharper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 pm

I think California also have different types of schooling service, you will surely get home schooling at this age too.

robertj
User

Postby robertj » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:16 am

Exactly he can get i also think that.

alexbrown
User

Postby alexbrown » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:03 am

Hi all! I am also happy to find this thread. It's a pity it hasn't been updated for a while, though. Any new tips?

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:16 am

alexbrown wrote:Hi all! I am also happy to find this thread. It's a pity it hasn't been updated for a while, though. Any new tips?

Nope. Nothing new. Same ol', same ol'.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Homeschool Law”