Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Growing heirloom veggies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comusher
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Growing heirloom veggies Reply with quote

I just discovered www.seedsaver.org it is a great site to get some interesting heirloom seeds. My daughter loves to try the crazy new ones like purple potatoes and learn where they came from originally.
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the web site. I can't wait until spring - 6 more weeks. March is a teaser month. I like to be outside, but the weather is too windy and chilly. I am considering starting some seeds indoors, but I won't. I have too many other things to do. But, I will look through some catalogs on and off line. I like trying to grow different flowers or vegetables. The word is "trying". Sometimes, I am successful and others not. Last year, I tried growing arugula. Profuse. As long as I harvested small leaves, my family ate it without complaint. The larger the leaves, the more bitter. I did get them to eat "dirt lettuce" as my husband calls mesculin. He says store bought spring lettuce takes like dirt. (????)
Azcrabcakes
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Old thread, new comment Reply with quote

We just planted several heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers and spinach. We shall see! At this point, they are just spouts, from seedlings in old egg cartons.

Surprisingly, my high schooler got interested in gardening a month ago, and seems to have a green thumb! We are all involved in it now, and gardening is the highlight of our day!
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a teen, I grew peas, tomatoes, and corn in the backyard. Yes, burying a fish does make corn grow much taller, though bury it deep enough so flies don't get to it! My first experiment produced a lot of nasty maggots.
tazy
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are a family of 5. I can normally keep the grocery bill to around $400 (give or take a bit) a month (ok, number 5 is only 13 months old). But whenever my husband visits the grocery store he pushes our costs to around $500 a month....!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: