Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't sit still while doing math

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyJorexzill
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Can't sit still while doing math Reply with quote

I'm wondering how common or unusual this is. My 9 year old son can't sit still while working on his math. I'll look over while he's working on his math (we just switched to Saxon math, which he says is harder than Math Mammoth, which we were using before. He was doing this before the switch, though.) and he'll be standing on his chair or leaning it way over or something. He's not hurting himself or the furniture and is doing his math extremely well, with usually over a 90% accuracy rate on the first run through. The mistakes are always due to him hurrying on hurrying on a problem, and those have been dropping, so I usually only stop him when he's getting really crazy on his chair.

Does anyone else on here have a child who does this? Like I said, I usually don't even say anything, unless he falls out of his chair or looks like he's doing something dangerous. I figure he needs to do it to work through his math.
RPascal206
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: RE: Can't sit still while doing math Reply with quote

Yes, he sounds very normal. I am the oldest of ten kids, and I have often observed that each child has his or her own learning style--some are way more active than others.

The way I see it, you should continue to encourage your child to learn in a method that best suits him. Think about it, 90% success rate--that is VERY good! Smile

To me, it sounds like you have a little Carl Friedrich Gauss--one of the worlds greatest child prodigies and mathematicians--in your hands!

Keep up the good job, and God bless! Very Happy
LadyJorexzill
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about what I figured. I don't have much experience with boys learning, though, because I pretty much ignored how my brothers learned when we were growing up. We do have math ability in my family (my dad is an engineer) and he's always been good with numbers. I've never really thought of him as a genius, though. Who knows, though, right? My main thought is that he's enjoying his math and learning it well and that's always a good thing.

Thanks, again!
SuperGiaJ
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it where some teachers allow their 'antsy' students to stand at their desk while working. For whatever reason it can alleviate the fiddling in the chair issue.
cindyg
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son does not sit still during any school work. I use to get very frustrated with him and then I realized that when I make him sit still and be quite, it is harder for him to concentrate but when he is moving all around he can actually tell his dad what he learned that day! I think it is normal for kids that age to want to move around.
Mima
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a homeschooling mom (who just happens to be a former schoolteacher) who got her young son one of those big exercise balls to sit on while doing his schoolwork. He can bounce to his heart's content. It works great!
Rosalind19
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter hates numbers and anything to do with Math so much that she simply gives up on even the simplest of sums and that too right at the very beginning itself. To some point, I can understand how she feels since I had a sort of a math-phobia myself when I was in elementary school and had this sort of firm conviction in myself that Math was simply not meant for me, it was beyond me. Thankfully, I had this super-awesome teacher in middle school who just turned things around and I started loving the subject.

When my daughter begins to get restless while solving math, on the pretext of giving her a break, I call her into the kitchen and give her her favorite cookie to munch on. And then, our special 'cookie game' starts - wherein she needs to count how many cookies are remaining in the jar each time she takes out one (I make sure the jar is transparent and small so that the cookies can be counted by looking at them from outside). Also, whenever I am in the process of baking cookies, she loves counting how many there are in the tray, back and forth (that is primarily how I started teaching her the multiplication tables).

Your son is pretty old for these types of activities but I'm pretty sure there would be some fun activities in math you could use to get him to enjoy doing stuff. If that doesn't work out, here's a way you could make do with his short attention span; give him a cookie/chocolate treat every time he does the stipulated number of problems correctly, so he knows he is going to get a treat from mommy every time. I'm sure you'll have a better time and he'll do his sums at double the speed! Smile
hannahsmith
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Can't sit still while doing math Reply with quote

LadyJorexzill wrote:
Does anyone else on here have a child who does this? Like I said, I usually don't even say anything, unless he falls out of his chair or looks like he's doing something dangerous. I figure he needs to do it to work through his math.

That's perfectly normal for a kid his age - he still does his work, right? I think that kids have so much energy flowing through them that it's hard for them to be still for that long. If my son is distracted, I allow him to play math games online on Knowledge Adventure (http://www.knowledgeadventure.com). I used to play their CD games as a kid and so I trust that they have education at their heart. Sometimes we go out for a short walk and then come back and he's fine.

But if your son is fidgeting or restless but still working on his lesson, then try changing the seat - higher tables so they can stand up, exercise ball seats, bean bags are a great idea.

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: