Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Homeschooling-need curriculum advice plz! 5th & 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshandallyson
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: New to Homeschooling-need curriculum advice plz! 5th & 6 Reply with quote

My intention is to begin homeschooling next school year. Both of my children are in public school. They are 9 year old twins. My son skipped !st grade so he's in 5th and my daughter is in 4th. I originally thought maybe I would just homeschool him first and see how it worked and let my daughter finish out elementary school (1 more year).

I was curious to know if there was a curriculum I could use that would allow me to teach the same material to each child but their actual work would be based on their grade level?
My son is easily an independent learner so he could do an internet or dvd based program. My daughter would probably need more interaction. Regardless of those, I would still like to know of my options.

Also, are there any Alabama homeschool moms on here?

Thank you SO much!
CheeseOta
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on homeschooling my son after the holidays. We just moved to be closer to where my husband works (his commute was almost 2 hours each way, so he would be away for half of the week when he had to work) and picked the city we live in due to being told by so many people that it was the best school in the area. My son was in private school before and had to be tested at the new school to ensure he was ready for 5th grade. He tested so well that the school offered to bump him up to 6th grade. We declined due to his age (that was the initial reason for private school, he missed the cut off by 8 days for public school).

The curriculum his new school uses is terrible. Constant spelling errors in all subjects, not listing the correct answer in a multiple choice problem in math, wording problems wrong, etc. After speaking to the principal, it is very clear that he did not see any issues, which is heavily disappointing. Especially since the 5th graders were moved into the middle school this year. So if my son were to remain in public school, he would continue to have this principal till high school. That I'd why we have decided to start homeschooling in January.

I'm curious which curriculum you decided to go with and what are your thoughts on it? We also live in Alabama. Saraland more specifically. Where in Alabama are you located?
rose786
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are you withdrawing him from the charter school? That's the only way you can truly be in charge of the curriculum and the pace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: