Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Homeschooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homeschoolcupcake
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: New Homeschooling Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

First off, I would like to express how thankful I am that a forum exists for homeschooling parents to collaborate! My goodness I can soak up any useful information as I have made the decision to home school my two children that are 3 and 4 years old. Yes, I have had enough of the stares and ooohs and aaahs about my decision but I feel that in the end my children will benefit far more with home school than with public or private school.

It took me a while to come to a decision but after extensive research and reading all the pros and cons of public, private, and home school, it was clear to me that my children would have a better time learning to love learning rather than forced to learn. I know it's a bold thing to say with "forced" to learn but from my personal experiences with schooling (public school and university) I realized one very important thing, I didn't truly learn a subject unless I was motivated and I'm sorry but public schools do not have motivational teachers all the time. It's not to say there are no good teachers because there are great teachers in public/private schools but they change teachers every year and there is no guarantee of who will be teaching my children each year.

Well I can go on FOREVER because I really did my homework and I have come to the point that I don't argue with opposing family members, I just leave the topic alone, as they seem to be determined to undermine the very thought of home schooling. I have too much on my plate to be worried about changing someone else's mind. I just know this will work for us and for that I am grateful.

Anyways, I have been pretty busy with my kids and teaching them their ABC's, colors, shapes, animals, and TRAINS, haha, my son is in love with trains and cars!

Through all this home schooling love, learning, excitement, craziness, and organizing, I still have not lost who I am. I do work on the side as a web developer and do my work on specific nights of the week. Sometimes my little girl finds me up and coding on the computer. She is usually asleep early but those nights she catches me she tries to act like me and pretends to type, making me realize that she knows who I am, that she understands I work too and she likes the sound of my typing. It's pretty nice to know she notices what I do when I have the time to do my work/hobby of web developing. I sometimes will show her my work's results and she laughs, points and knows I just created that. Home schooling is starting but home learning has always been. Very Happy

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I hope to read and write with you in the future! Smile
L Kelly
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your daughter is learning to type by the Suzuki Method, aka the Mother Tongue Method. It's the same way all those Suzuki violinists and other early musicians et al learn to play. Where did she learn about the Suzuki Method?
homeschoolcupcake
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L Kelly wrote:
Your daughter is learning to type by the Suzuki Method, aka the Mother Tongue Method. It's the same way all those Suzuki violinists and other early musicians et al learn to play. Where did she learn about the Suzuki Method?

I actually haven't heard about the Suzuki Method. I just teach my kids with creativity. I love art, which is why I started web development in the first place, to have complete artistic freedom in my work. When it comes to my kids, I like to get them to think without a box, not inside nor outside the box but just their way. We do all sorts of activities and I really like for them to have freedom, the freedom to think. My favorite part of the day is when I play classical music all throughout the house and the kids have free time running in and out of the house and they do amazing things, building stuff, fixing things, writing and drawing. My goal for them is to make sure they love to learn so that when they become adults they continue to learn, read, and express themselves in healthy ways. Smile
hannahsmith
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people feel threatened when you start doing something that is conventional or something that blatantly goes against everything you have been taught. Because something has been done a certain way for years and years, doesn't mean it's the best. You're an amazing mother just for putting your child first and while people will try to lecture you about it, that you have stuck with it shows just how strong a person you are. Kudos to you and your decision.

Homeschooling isn't just learning a curriculum. You unlearn some of the things that make you a 2 dimensional person and you learn creativity and goodness and make some amazing memories along the way. You also nurture happiness and a interest in discovery and learning!

When I first started Homeschooling, I was met with much the same response as you have received. "What can you really learn at home? You sit and complete some worksheets, color some drawings and play some video games!" (At the time this comment was made, I was playing a game called http://www.schoolofdragons.com with my daughter as it was a) something we could do together b) helped her pick up basic science and the scientific method). But when we did her final test, she scored significantly more than her peers in public schools. That's not to say that public schools are bad. Just that holistic development is more possible at home.

You are a great mum - look at how you bond with your child. I hope you won't give up because of a few sceptics!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: