looking for year round online schooling

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

KR
User
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 am
Location: southern indiana

looking for year round online schooling

Postby KR » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:06 am

Hi we have our daughter in k12. Its working out great,we love the program. The problem with it is you have to do a normal school year. When she completes one year of schooling she has to wait till fall to start the next year. My question is this is there any online programs that will let her start the next year as soon as she is finished with a current year. Our end goal is to have her done with basic college by 18.
All suggestions and information will be helpful. thanks

KR
User
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 am
Location: southern indiana

hmm

Postby KR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:34 pm

I would have thought there was something out there.
Any advise would be great,I would even consider a good private online program. Thanks

User avatar
elliemaejune
User
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: The Fireswamp

Re: looking for year round online schooling

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:25 pm

KR wrote:Hi we have our daughter in k12. Its working out great,we love the program. The problem with it is you have to do a normal school year. When she completes one year of schooling she has to wait till fall to start the next year. My question is this is there any online programs that will let her start the next year as soon as she is finished with a current year. Our end goal is to have her done with basic college by 18.
All suggestions and information will be helpful. thanks


Well, actually, isn't she enrolled in a public charter school that provides K12? If so, that's your problem, not K12. You could buy K12 yourself and do it any way you wanted; it's the public school enrollment that's the issue.

There may be some on-line curriculum that you can do any time you want, but you'd have to purchase them, and some can be very pricey.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

KR
User
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 am
Location: southern indiana

Postby KR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 pm

You know I really didn't think about it. I asked k12 about options for what we want to do several times,and even though they have been fine on most things they pretty much just said they were like regular school and didn't have any advise on it.

As you can tell were pretty new at this. I know what were wanting to do with our children were just trying to figure out how to get it done.

thanks for the reply, any and all info is appreciated.

User avatar
elliemaejune
User
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: The Fireswamp

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 am

KR wrote:You know I really didn't think about it. I asked k12 about options for what we want to do several times,and even though they have been fine on most things they pretty much just said they were like regular school and didn't have any advise on it.

As you can tell were pretty new at this. I know what were wanting to do with our children were just trying to figure out how to get it done.

thanks for the reply, any and all info is appreciated.


What is the name of the virtual charter school your dd is enrolled in? I'm pretty sure you have been talking with someone at the charter school, not someone at K12 (although if you contact K12 on-line, you will be referred to a charter school in your state, if it's available).

You know, you don't have to do that. Indiana has an excellent homeschool law, which doesn't require you to be accountable to anyone. You'll be responsible for buying your own instructional materials, but you'll have all the freedom in the world to teach your children the way you want to.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies

JamBabyVA
User
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:39 am
Location: United States

Postby JamBabyVA » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:44 pm

k12 does have a private school option. You buy the curriculum and oay monthly for the online tools (I was quoted $548 for the grade curriculum and $94 a month for the online tools). Once you are done with the current grade you just pay the $548 for the next school year's curriculum.

User avatar
elliemaejune
User
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: The Fireswamp

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:21 am

JamBabyVA wrote:k12 does have a private school option. You buy the curriculum and oay monthly for the online tools (I was quoted $548 for the grade curriculum and $94 a month for the online tools). Once you are done with the current grade you just pay the $548 for the next school year's curriculum.


There's the difference: you are paying for it. Most of the time when we have these conversations, we are actually talking about the public charter school, where people enroll their children in the charter school (i.e., Oklahoma Virtual Academy, or Texas Virtual Academy, or whatever), and they get K12 free of charge; their children are public school students and are subject to public school requirements. People why buy K12 and enroll their dc in the private school option must still comply with any homeschool laws in their state.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies


Return to “Getting Started”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest