Online Virtual Home School

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jonesgang247
User

Online Virtual Home School

Postby jonesgang247 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks and Have a great Day :)
Jonesgang247

sandykc
User

There are a LOT of virtual options..

Postby sandykc » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:46 pm

I don't know if Alabama has any free virtual charter school options, but if they do and you choose one of them, it will be more like schooling at home than homeschooling.. A subtle, but important difference being that you will not be in control of your child's education if you use a charter option.

Given homeschooling, I prefer the "at your own pace" programs because they let your child start courses whenever, work at his own pace, and then finish up early (or late) depending upon your individual child. There are several "at your own pace" options on this page. You can scan through or search for "pace" within the page to find those at your own pace programs. http://learningabledkids.com/college_and_high_school/virtual_high_schools.htm

We used virtual dual enrollment programs which were a great way to earn both college and high school credits simultaneously. Virtual schooling isn't for everyone, but it works well for those who can stay on task. GOOD LUCK!
SandyKC
Homeschool Mom, Author, Instructional Designer, trained Special Education Advocate

jonesgang247
User

Thanks that was great help.

Postby jonesgang247 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:55 am

Ok like I said I am new to all this. So yeah I would like them to work at their own pace. So the virtual is out then. Lol. I am just not sure where to start in finding a home school.
Thanks and Have a great Day :)

Jonesgang247

sandykc
User

Virtual is not out..

Postby sandykc » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:11 am

If you want them to work at their own pace, that doesn't mean virtual programs are out.. It just means you need to be sure to pick a virtual program that is at the student's pace. There are some.. I was just saying you have to specifically look for that. There is a LOT to figure out in the beginning!! Welcome to homeschooling! :-D It gets a lot easier once you've got things rolling.
SandyKC

Homeschool Mom, Author, Instructional Designer, trained Special Education Advocate

elliemaejune
User

Re: Thanks that was great help.

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:02 am

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Getting Started”