Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Place Value for a 4- year old- am I expecting too much?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mommyof3blessings
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Place Value for a 4- year old- am I expecting too much? Reply with quote

I am starting with Singapore Math - we have the Textbook and Activity book as well as the "Essentials" I skipped Kindy level A because it was beneath her. We did well until we got to the section on learning place value - 10s/1s place. She can figure out the problems etc but I can tell it's not actually
"clicking" with her. When I ask it to her in a different way or to try it without mom helping her, she can't do it. Mind you, my daughter is 4 years, 4 months old. She is reading at 1st-2nd grade level and since Dad is a math whiz I thought this might also come easy for her. But we're stuck. I've found some ideas on Pinterest but wondering if I should NOT be focusing on this yet - is it too much to expect? I'm not sure what else to teach her in math other than this as it seems to be the next learning objective.
RPascal206
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Place Value for a 4 Year Old Reply with quote

First, I would like to say that you are doing an excellent job homeschooling. The fact that your daughter can read at a 1st-2nd grade level is fantastic! Developing good reading skills is crucial, and that is exactly what you have done. Great Job!

As for place values, you really don’t have to worry about those yet. In fact, we don’t start doing place values until the child starts working with larger numbers (e.g. adding 3 digit numbers together).

While you’re waiting, you could teach her numbers, addition, subtraction, and maybe even her times tables! Above all, however, it is crucial to instill in your daughter a love for learning: make sure you never frustrate her and always encourage her. As long as you make it fun, you’ll see that your daughter will love both math and learning in general.

If the curriculum you’re using isn’t working out, you could either modify it as you go, OR you could just stop using it altogether. She is after all only four, and there really is no need to follow a rigid curriculum at this age (actually, there never is a need for rigid curricula when you homeschool! Laughing ) Of course, If you really are determined to teach her place values, you probably could: just make sure it’s both refreshing and fun! Very Happy

Hope this helps, and God bless! Smile
Mommyof3blessings
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Place Value for a 4 Year Old Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I am sure with having as many children as you do, you are quite the expert! She seems do be doing well with at least addition and subtraction, so I think I'll focus on that for now and come back to place values again maybe in the fall to see where she stands on it.
Moti
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: A Place Value book and in general Reply with quote

Firstly, at 4.5 years old she may be a bit too young for Place value, but, given her reading level, it seems her she should be able to learn it as it is actually much like reading.

The book I wrote on it (see http://www.ainmath.com) teaches it thoroughly and in a very easy way to understand and I've had kids as young as she learn to name (or write when told the name) VERY large numbers (even 15 digits long) because it breaks it down to few rules and few names to remember - the logic behind the system.
sgottlieb
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: place holder Reply with quote

I think that you can teach your child about place holder. You need to teach her how to write numbers (and I am sure you did) and explain how each position can only hold up to 9 (just can have the digits). This concept is the beginning of learning place holders.
http://www.mathtutor1.com/calculus_3_dvd.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: