Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping the Interest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
judyhanning
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Keeping the Interest Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

When you and your children are doing your lessons, how do you keep them interested in what they are doing? Sometimes, it gets to be frustrating when we do not get the result we want. I want to make sure that I am able to give my children the lessons they need to learn and still have fun.

Thanks,
Judy
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the child and the subject. Boys are motivated more by competition, so adding a competitive element may help there. Certain subjects (science, history, etc.) can be spiced up quite a bit by watching documentaries or historical dramas. There's also lots of real-life things you can do, like growing plants (I enjoyed growing peas, tomatoes, corn, etc. when I was younger - turns out burying a fish does in fact make corn grow taller...), visiting the science museum or zoo, etc.

If it's just workbooks, keep the sessions fairly short for the more boring subjects. Attention usually starts to wane after 30-45 minutes, and there's no need to cram if you're homeschooling year-round (which I highly recommend)).
Blessings4all
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Educational games can help make learning fun. Hands-on activities are great too.

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.
brookeh9
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 children that I have put through home schooling and also ran into the same problem. I noticed that it was better to give games and to boost learning by going outside of the standards and curriculum so they could grasp the topic according to their interest.
mindy8
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Be silly Reply with quote

I tend to act silly to keep engaged. While we read lessons or discuss things they seem to appreciate silly voices or odd comments that might be made by the people in the lesson - this especially works well in history.
RPascal206
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Some Ideas to Make Learning Fun! Reply with quote

Here are some ideas that my mom used for me and/or that I or my sister have used with our siblings:

1) When teaching children how to read, make it colorful—you can make your own little stories and/or flash cards using colored markers. Note that this can also be used for math (e.g. multiplication tables).

2) Draw! Children LOVE it when you draw in front of them—you really don’t have to be Leonardo da Vinci—simple little drawings will do. Wink

3) Make puppets and/or little toys that will “talk” during each lesson. I remember that my mom used to use sock puppets she had made with me. She would then use these puppets during each lesson. Another interesting alternative would be to add eyes to the marker you are using to teach—this is a technique used by my sister with our younger siblings (it works wonders!Very Happy).

4) Use objects that are of interest to each child: when teaching one of my sisters fractions, I grabbed some of her toys and made each one’s voice; I then would tear sheets of paper from a notebook (all of this was done in front of her), and cut each sheet into pieces (i.e. some were cut in half, some into thirds, some into fourths, etc.). She loved it! Smile

5) Use technology: internet and even television are FULL of educational material that students of all ages find engaging.

6) Encourage: tell your children that they are great, they are geniuses, they are A+ students, they will grow up to do great things etc.

7) Remember that each child is different: what may work for one child might simply not work for another.

Cool All in all have fun! Chances are, if the student and teacher are both having fun, more learning will take place.
SaraG23
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Some Ideas Reply with quote

Educational games are good, so are hands on kinesthetic activities.

We used to go outside often and learn biology by catching bugs in a net and looking at pond algae. Nature's Classroom used to have a lot of good outdoor activity ideas and Globetrot is an online geography/world knowledge game you can try http://apps.facebook.com/globetrotfamily

My mom used to also do a lot of crafts with us and now that I think about it, Montessori has a lot of alternative education ways to make math and verbal reasoning fun and an active learning process for kids.

Best of Luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: