Favorite Book? / Reading Suggestions?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

3GiftsFromGod
User

Favorite Book? / Reading Suggestions?

Postby 3GiftsFromGod » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi all! Like I have stated in other posts I am new here and LOVING it! I have been reading like crazy about homeschooling and all the benefits! I have read almost all the Mary Pride books on homeschooling (I am now reading, "The Way Home", and "All The Way Home" is next!), I have read " A Mom Just Like You" - Vickie Farris, and "The Right Choice-Home Schooling" - Chris Klicka....and I have read many other curriculum idea books. So what I was wondering is ... Does anyone have any suggestions for books to read? I am an avid reader and I love to read just about anything! So what is your favorite book?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:23 pm

Favorite book period, or favorite homeschooling book? Give us some hints as to genre :)

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:12 am

Favorite "classic" book: Wuthering Heights
Favorite "guilty pleasure" book: Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series
Favorite homeschooling book: Home Learning Year by Year

It's really hard for me to peg down favorites - I read well over a hundred books a year and I generally like them all. A few stand out, but I rarely run across a book that I don't like.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

3GiftsFromGod
User

Postby 3GiftsFromGod » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:58 am

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:53 am

milehimom
User

Postby milehimom » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:33 pm

I have the perfect book for you. It's fiction, and it's about a Christian family who homeshools! It's called Pocektfull of Pinecones by Karen Andreola. It's pretty good. I actually didn't finish it. I was loving it until I found out it wasn't true! That wrecked it for me! The family is so wonderful and their homeschool experience is so easy and natural that it gave me hope about how our homeschool experience could be (we haven't started yet, we will in the fall).

Still, it was good and gave me GREAT ideas! The family lived in the 1930s and went on Nature walks and kept Nature Journals as part of their curriculum! She quotes Charlotte Mason all the time... it was quite informative! I went right out and bought journals for my kids and some Field Guides. As the snow is beginning to melt and we are finding tiny crocuses all around the woods already, we are starting our Nature Journals now, before homeshool starts!
milehimom
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

angw8
User

Postby angw8 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:27 pm

We all loved reading Ten P's in a Pod .I got this from Timberdoodle.Was about a family with ten children that travelled all over USA and started homeschooling in the 60's.

Education by Ellen White is a wonderful read .
A quote from chapter 1 -

Every human being, created in the image of God, is endowed with a power akin to that of the Creator-- individuality, power to think and to do. The men in whom this power is developed are the men who bear responsibilities, who are leaders in enterprise, and who influence character. It is the work of true education to develop this power, to train the youth to be thinkers, and not mere reflectors of other men's thought. Instead of confining their study to that which men have said or written, let students be directed to the sources of truth, to the vast fields opened for research in nature and revelation.

This book is can be read online or downloaded at www.thehomeschooledge.com
Ang

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”