Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre algebra or algebra?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sasha2
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Pre algebra or algebra? Reply with quote

What exactly is prealgebra.Is in a necessity to take before algebra? Or is it just a review of concepts and an intro to algebra?

My son is in 7th next year and dont want to waste time with reviewing stuff he already knows.Anyway I want to use Teaching Textbooks and will probably have him take the placement test but still want to know the difference between the two.
RPascal206
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: You Don’t Need Pre-Algebra to take Algebra Reply with quote

No, you don’t have to take pre-algebra prior to taking algebra.

I was looking through the table of contents for the Teaching Book series, and this is what I found:

Pre-Algebra
Chapters 1-6 seem to be a recap of grades 6 and 7
Chapters 7-17 are virtually the same as Algebra 1

Algebra 1
Seems to cover everything in chapters 7-17 of Pre-Algebra, and probably a little more (presumably in greater detail)

Here is the link to the Pre-Algebra table of contents: http://184.168.83.81/Assets/PreAlgebraTOC.pdf

Here is the link to the Algebra 1 table of contents: http://184.168.83.81/Assets/Algebra1TOC.pdf

I personally have never used the Teaching Book series; however, from personal experience with other pre-algebra curricula and textbooks, I recommend you go straight to algebra 1. If your child needs to review any previous subjects, you could probably just review the previous lessons.

Hope this helps and God bless! Very Happy
Sasha2
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks so much for all the help.Looks like we can go straight for algebra 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: