Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New... questions

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jill Waskey
User


Joined: 02 May 2013
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: New... questions Reply with quote

Hello! I'm new. This is my first post. I'm debating whether or not to send my kindergartner (an only child) to public school for first grade next year.

We lived in a state where kindergarten was optional until we moved to another state a month ago. I "homeschooled" my daughter this past school year, using materials I had from when I was a teacher, and I used her interests and abilities as my guide, not a curriculum. When we moved to this new area, we put her in public school to help her make friends and to give me a little time to get settled here without her in my hair all day. We figured it could be temporary (only for the last 9 weeks of school). May sound selfish but that's what we decided. I'm glad we did.

I taught in public school so I know what goes on, but it is definitely eye opening having my daughter there. She watched Hannah Montana in music class the first day she was there. We had never seen it. They watch a movie at nap time every single day, and she has been scared by the Wizard of Oz and the Jack Frost character in the Santa Clause 3 movie. She watches movies in library, art, and music pretty regularly. She reports each day of who misbehaved in class. Her teacher reads the class a chapter book with a character that has a sassy attitude and uses words like "dumb" and "stupid." She is in contact with older kids up to sixth grade every day in the cafeteria and on the playground.

I guess I have mixed feelings about the idea of "sheltering" my daughter from negative influence. I know most of this is "normal" but I'm not sure I can go along with it. 7 hours a day is a long time for my daughter to be under the influence of people I don't know. So far I don't trust their judgment regarding what is appropriate for children. Also, I might mention that the school is under a government take over by the state right now and it is considered a "failing" school. The red flags have been going up pretty often around our house to say the least.

I have been in contact with a homeschool group that I plan to meet soon.

There is no question that I would provide a better education for my daughter and that she would not be exposed to bad influences if I home schooled her. My major hangups for her are loneliness and lack of school opportunities. My major hangups for me are the overwhelmed feelings I get when I'm with her all day every day. It has been a luxury to have time to keep things straight around the house while she is at school, to say the least.

I am all for self-sacrifice and having a less than perfectly organized life and house for the sake of my daughter. I'm just really wrestling with this decision. I know either way she will be just fine. It's not the end of the world.

And by the way, I kept her home with me today because she was scared to go back and watch the rest of the scary movie, and because I wanted my kid back. We did school, chores, had a nature walk, and now she's having rest time. Thank God for rest time! She said, "Is my school OK that I didn't go today?" I said "The school is not in charge of your life." But I have a feeling it would be, at least in part, if we sent her there indefinitely.

I would appreciate your input. Thank you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RPascal206
User


Joined: 22 Jun 2013
Posts: 19
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Don't Give Up! Reply with quote

Hmm…it looks to me as if both you and your daughter would be happier homeschooling.

Here’s what I mean:

Quote:
She reports each day of who misbehaved in class.


I was homeschooled all the way (from preschool to high school), so I can only partially empathize with your daughter. When I was little (between the ages of 5-9), I would go to Sunday school at my church; I always hated it though because the children there would ALWAYS misbehave: not listening to the teacher, talking too much, being disrespectful, and teasing children younger than they was commonplace Confused. Thankfully though, my parents would usually accompany me, AND it was no longer than one hour long once per week.

Quote:
I know most of this is "normal" but I'm not sure I can go along with it.


There are many things that are “normal,” but this doesn’t mean they’re okay.

Quote:
7 hours a day is a long time for my daughter to be under the influence of people I don't know.


You are right. A LOT can happen in seven hours.

Quote:
So far I don't trust their judgment regarding what is appropriate for children. Also, I might mention that the school is under a government take over by the state right now and it is considered a "failing" school.


I wouldn’t trust their judgment either. My dad has been a public high school and junior high teacher for over twenty years now, and due largely impart to what he saw in these schools, he decided to homeschool all his children all the way.

Quote:
There is no question that I would provide a better education for my daughter and that she would not be exposed to bad influences if I home schooled her.


I agree! Very Happy

Quote:
My major hangups for her are loneliness and lack of school opportunities.


I have an uncle who was also homeschooled all the way (like me). One major difference though was that he was virtually an only child (his other siblings are twenty–some years older than he). He was never lonely though: he always had his parents, visitors, church, and other children that would visit (although from his description, many of these children where just like the ones I encountered in Sunday-school). Overall, from the descriptions he has given me, it seems he had a fantastic childhood.

As for school opportunities, I wouldn’t worry too much about this. My uncle is currently on his way to medical school, and was able to obtain his bachelor’s in biology and graduate with a 4.0 GPA: there was no need for “school opportunities”. Smile

Quote:
My major hangups for me are the overwhelmed feelings I get when I'm with her all day every day. It has been a luxury to have time to keep things straight around the house while she is at school, to say the least.

I am all for self-sacrifice and having a less than perfectly organized life and house for the sake of my daughter.


I know that it can be challenging, but it really doesn’t have to be so hard. You and you daughter could probably get together and write a schedule in order to make things easier (I used to LOOOVE writing schedules when I was little). Make sure it’s flexible though.

Quote:
And by the way, I kept her home with me today because she was scared to go back and watch the rest of the scary movie, and because I wanted my kid back. We did school, chores, had a nature walk, and now she's having rest time. Thank God for rest time! She said, "Is my school OK that I didn't go today?" I said "The school is not in charge of your life." But I have a feeling it would be, at least in part, if we sent her there indefinitely.


From the quotation above, it looks to me as if both you and your daughter want to go back to the good-old homeschooling days you had together.

Hope this helps! Smile
_________________
The Lord has greatly blessed me: I am the oldest of ten children, and I LOVE it!
My family's blog is: http://plantedbyrivers.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Homeschool World Terms of Use  •  Privacy Policy  •  Copyright ©1993-Now Home Life, Inc.