Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much recordkeeping do you do for MO?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkysmom
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: How much recordkeeping do you do for MO? Reply with quote

I live in MO and am getting ready to embark on my first year of homeschooling in June with my son who will be in 1st grade. Right now he is in kindy in private school but we are making the very exciting move to homeschooling. We are going to do 2-3 days a week year round b/c he needs more in the way of fun and activities in a week to further develop his social skills (he has an autism diagnosis).

I am using Abeka for everything except Bible and I'm using Bob Jones for that. I have homeschool tracker mostly b/c I just like playing around with that kind of stuff and this gave me an excuse to buy it. lol!

I know about the 1000 hrs of instruction, 600 in core and 400 in non-core. But, what do you have for recordkeeping? Anything besides attendance, hours spent on each subject, and saving their work? Anyone ever get, uh what's the right word, audited? (Is that the right word?)

Thanks! Very Happy
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to keep a record of "subjects taught and activities engaged in", which I assume would include the number of hours; a portfolio of work; and a record of "evaluations of the child’s academic progress", which basically translates to ongoing grade summaries or test results. Sounds like you have everything covered except maybe that last part.

You're highly unlikely to get audited, and even if you are, you're highly unlikely to get in trouble unless it looks like you didn't even try to keep records. Things are a lot more friendly now in MO than they were back when I was a kid.
christine540
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: also in MO Reply with quote

Hello! I'm in MO also. What exactly is non-core? I'm prepping to pull my 6th grade out of school for HS this summer, so I'm still getting the rules down pat.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Reading, math, social studies, language arts, and science. Mo. Ann. Stat. §167.031.2(2)(b). These subject areas (including academic courses related to them) are not individually required, but must collectively constitute at least 600 hours of the child’s instruction."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: