Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reluctant Learner! At my wits end! HELP!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girlwhowrites
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be exactly like them, a lot of people told my mom to push me harder or put me in school so I would be at the "normal reading level. She kept working with me reading me the stories so I would start loving books once I liked hearing them i started reading them myself turning that into a decent liking for writing. I LOVE reading now it's hard to imagine I used to hate it.
RPascal206
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Don't Give Up! Reply with quote

Don’t give up!
Philippians 4:13 says “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

Encourage her with love: tell her that she is the best; she is a genius; she can do it; she is an A+ student! 1 Thessalonians 5 says “Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.”

Make it fun! Very Happy

Get her books that you think would be of interest to her. Does she like animals? Get her animal books! Does she like horses? Get her books about horses! Does she like princesses? Get her princes books! Maybe you can even motivate her more by getting her to choose her own books. Tip: amazon.com is a great place to start.

In order to further instill a joy for learning, you could give her a little sticker chart: for each day she studies, she could receive a sticker. After having collected a certain amount of stickers (say 15 days’ worth), you could reward her (e.g. take her to McDonald’s, buy her a new coloring book). Make sure you let her know in advance of the reward you are planning on giving her for her work.

Lastly, Don’t worry too much about those mistakes she is making in her reading and writing: they are very common—especially for children in her age group. In order to improve her writing, you may consider getting her to copy a book (preferably the bible). As for writing letters and numbers backwards, you could get her to copy these repeatedly.

Hope this helps! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: