Having a hard time with decision

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mommysince2004
User

Having a hard time with decision

Postby mommysince2004 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:09 pm

I am a mom of three wonderful kids, my oldest has been having a lot of issues in school with reading and reading comprehension my middle child is doing wonderful and my youngest is mostly okay in school except sometimes he acts up and has "bad days". My oldest is in 3rd grade and he didn't pass FCAT due to the reading. My husband and I are considering pulling them out so I can homeschool them. We live in FL, and they offer e-schooling through the district but I am not sure if that is really going to be best since I think it is the same thing that they teach in schools or if there is another program that would be better. Help don't know where to look or begin.
Tiffani

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 pm

I personally would not recommend the e-schooling, but it's up to you. I would instead just do regular homeschooling, where you teach your children. It sounds like you need to sit down and just spend lots of time reading to your oldest child, listening to him read aloud, and discussing what you read to improve his comprehension. There are also workbooks you can buy (very inexpensive) that help with comprehension. Here are a couple of links with examples:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/ ... aca5e72564

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/ ... aca5e72564

The e-schooling might work, but I think younger children need direct instruction. E-schooling is probably better for high school level, when teens are more independent. Also, if you teach them yourself, you can make learning more interesting and fun.

Return to “Getting Started”