A call from the special ed teacher today.

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

andall
User
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:23 am
Location: CALI

A call from the special ed teacher today.

Postby andall » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi, I pulled my son out of school yesterday, I took the letter of intent to the attendance office and filed the affidavit the day before that. My son is in 7th grade and has an IEP he has a learning disability, he doesn't learn at the same speed as the other kids and is way behind in every subject. His RSP teacher called me today saying that she is going to have a meeting with the special ed team to talk about my son and see if they will still be able to help him with his learning I guess, they say that since he has an IEP it is different than regular students that I just can't pull him out and decide on my own...is that right? that is my question, are they going to decide how am going to teach him or if I can take him out of school or not.....I thought that my decision was the final thing here. Can someone give me advice on this. I live in California.

Thanks,
AndAll

User avatar
elliemaejune
User
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: The Fireswamp

Re: A call from the special ed teacher today.

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:50 pm

andall wrote:Hi, I pulled my son out of school yesterday, I took the letter of intent to the attendance office and filed the affidavit the day before that. My son is in 7th grade and has an IEP he has a learning disability, he doesn't learn at the same speed as the other kids and is way behind in every subject. His RSP teacher called me today saying that she is going to have a meeting with the special ed team to talk about my son and see if they will still be able to help him with his learning I guess, they say that since he has an IEP it is different than regular students that I just can't pull him out and decide on my own...is that right? that is my question, are they going to decide how am going to teach him or if I can take him out of school or not.....I thought that my decision was the final thing here. Can someone give me advice on this. I live in California.

Thanks,


You understand that I am not giving you *legal* advice.

You have every right to withdraw your ds from school. You do need to follow the laws, though. Have you filed a private school affidavit (R-4)? If not, you must do that immediately if not sooner.

Another option would be to enroll your ds in a private school which accepts hsed students (commonly called an Independent Study Program, or ISP, but really, they're just private schools). It isn't more legal than filing your own affidavit, but sometimes having a school administrator who is not you, and a school address that is not yours, and a third party to talk to officials and request records and whatnot, can be very helpful, especially when removing a child in the middle of the school year, especially when the child has an IEP. What county do you live in?

Did you join HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association)? Often, when there are issues at school such as having dc with IEPs, it is especially important to make sure that HSLDA membership is in place before removing the child, at least for the first year. If you have your plan in place as far as teaching materials and whatnot, you can join HSLDA on-line. I would do that.

http://www.hslda.org

You do NOT need to meet with his teacher or accept any "help" from the school. If the school had been doing such a great job in the first place, we wouldn't be having this discussion :-o

andall
User
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:23 am
Location: CALI

Postby andall » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Hi, I'm in the San Bernardino county, and yes I did file the R-4 Affidavit the day before I pulled him out. No I don't have all the material that I am going to teach right now I'm just working on their time tables and spelling and some writing then we watch the National Geographic channel for some social studies. I haven't joined the HSLDA, I don't think I am ready for that since I don't have any text books on any subjects. I am just giving this a try if it gets too complicated I think I'll just join a Public School at home like (Connections Academy) they provide all the material I need free of charge, the only thing is you have to be in contact with one of their teachers and they have to take the tests they require. Thanks
AndAll

momo3boys
User
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:00 am
Location: Western Mass

Postby momo3boys » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:39 pm

In massachusetts you have the right to have your child continue to get sped sevices on YOUR time schedule. My son was taken out of school for some of the same reasons. He recieves on hour a day, three days a week. Regular sped, speech and language, and Occupational therapy. Is this what they are talking about?
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

andall
User
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:23 am
Location: CALI

Postby andall » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:41 am

momo3boys wrote:In massachusetts you have the right to have your child continue to get sped sevices on YOUR time schedule. My son was taken out of school for some of the same reasons. He recieves on hour a day, three days a week. Regular sped, speech and language, and Occupational therapy. Is this what they are talking about?


Yes I think that is what they want. I just don't know how my son is going to take that he is so happy and enjoying the classes here at home. Thank you for your reply.
AndAll

User avatar
elliemaejune
User
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: The Fireswamp

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:31 pm

andall wrote:Hi, I'm in the San Bernardino county, and yes I did file the R-4 Affidavit the day before I pulled him out. No I don't have all the material that I am going to teach right now I'm just working on their time tables and spelling and some writing then we watch the National Geographic channel for some social studies. I haven't joined the HSLDA, I don't think I am ready for that since I don't have any text books on any subjects. I am just giving this a try if it gets too complicated I think I'll just join a Public School at home like (Connections Academy) they provide all the material I need free of charge, the only thing is you have to be in contact with one of their teachers and they have to take the tests they require. Thanks


You don't have to have textbooks; you just have to have a plan. IOW, your "curriculum" would be spelling, math, English, and social studies. HSLDA only cares that you are defensable, not that you have a stack of books.

I would much prefer to hs privately than to be part of a government school program. I'm just too independent :-)

andall
User
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:23 am
Location: CALI

Postby andall » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:55 pm

elliemaejune wrote:
andall wrote:Hi, I'm in the San Bernardino county, and yes I did file the R-4 Affidavit the day before I pulled him out. No I don't have all the material that I am going to teach right now I'm just working on their time tables and spelling and some writing then we watch the National Geographic channel for some social studies. I haven't joined the HSLDA, I don't think I am ready for that since I don't have any text books on any subjects. I am just giving this a try if it gets too complicated I think I'll just join a Public School at home like (Connections Academy) they provide all the material I need free of charge, the only thing is you have to be in contact with one of their teachers and they have to take the tests they require. Thanks


You don't have to have textbooks; you just have to have a plan. IOW, your "curriculum" would be spelling, math, English, and social studies. HSLDA only cares that you are defensable, not that you have a stack of books.

I would much prefer to hs privately than to be part of a government school program. I'm just too independent :-)


I agree with you I rather stay independent too so I have to give this a try. Thanks.
AndAll


Return to “Getting Started”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests