Could use some help

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

RedFishBlueFish
User

Could use some help

Postby RedFishBlueFish » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:25 pm

and after googling this forum came up. It's a bit of a long story. My daughter is 7 and in first grade. My husband is severely dyslexic and has dysgraphia. So in January when her teacher contacted me and wanted to hold my daughter back because she's falling behind I started pushing towards testing her.

They refused saying they do not test before the ages of 10-12. So one day I took her to a special school that specializes in dyslexia and hands on teaching and had her tested. She is dyslexic and she's been enrolled in the school for the 2013-14 school year (and beyond)

However for the current time she's stuck in our school system which to put simply. SUCKS. The Special Education classes are a joke and a half. So I'm considering withdrawing her from the Public School and homeschooling for her for the remainder of the school year (2 1/2 months)

I'm in Indiana and the laws here are really simple. I'm just really scared that I'm going to screw her up by attempting to work with her at home. I really want to focus on letters, their sounds, and reading and phonics. However when talking to my friends about this one of them went crazy on me telling me that because I'm not a skilled professional I could set her back really far and it's just made me nervous about trying it.

Nathan
User

Don't Let Them Get You Down

Postby Nathan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:49 am

Any well meaning sane parent going out of their way to improve the life of their child can't screw them up that bad. Many of the "professional teachers" are in their current position by default. You know what your child needs much better than any bureaucratic administrator. Give it a shot for the time period you are talking about. How badly can you possibly screw your child up in 2 1/2 months.

Return to “Getting Started”