Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myshelleluvsu
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Confused! Reply with quote

I am considering homeschool my 7th grader. Like so many other post I've read, I don't know where to start. I don't know how to meet the curriculum requirements for my state. I don't know what curriculum is good that isn't alot of money. So somebody out there please help. Oh by the way, I live in Louisiana.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Confused! Reply with quote

myshelleluvsu wrote:
I am considering homeschool my 7th grader. Like so many other post I've read, I don't know where to start. I don't know how to meet the curriculum requirements for my state. I don't know what curriculum is good that isn't alot of money. So somebody out there please help. Oh by the way, I live in Louisiana.

I'm so glad your question included your dc's age and where you live Smile

According to the Home School Legal Defense Association, there are two options for hsing: the first requires that you get approval, the second does not. You don't want to have to get approval. Trust me on this.

The second just requires you to notify the school from which you remove your ds that you will be hsing:

"Students who are withdrawn from public school during the school year, or who attended public school the year before enrolling in a private school, must provide a written notification of enrollment to the public school he attended within 10 days of enrollment. This notification must include:
a. Student’s legal name;
b. Date of birth;
c. Gender; and
d. Race.
In addition, the notification may include a request for the student’s transcript. La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 17:221.3."

Here's the link to read the whole thing:

www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Louisiana.pdf

The law says you must have "a 'curriculum of a quality at least equal to that offered by public schools at the same grade level,' La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 17:236, including the Declaration of Independence (elementary) and the Federalist Papers (high school). La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 17:268."

"Curriculum" does not mean a stack of books; it means the course of study your homeschool covers.

You will need the basics: English, history, math, science.

English includes grammar, composition, spelling/vocabulary, reading/literature (in younger grades it also includes penmanship).

History (also known as social studies or social sciences) is world, U.S. and state history and geography. Usually you choose one; Louisiana doesn't specify which one must be taught at any grade level.

Science...you know that one Smile

Because of course you want your dc to be a well-rounded person, you will also do things like fine arts (music, dance, theater, art history/applied art [actually messing around with paint and stuff]), computer literacy, health, p.e. of some sort, and so on.

Your state doesn't have any requirements for homeschooled dc to graduate.

You will want to consider whether or not your dc might want to go to high school. If so, it's much more difficult for homeschooled students to enter after 9th grade; schools commonly do not give credit to them for courses they have completed at home.

Were you thinking you'd want materials that are by Christian publishers/authors, or secular? That will make a difference in which teaching materials we recommend.
myshelleluvsu
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for the info...i just have a few more questions, concerns. How do I pick a curriculum? (either Christian or secular doesn't matter) I am a single parent on a limited income. I was really looking for one that is totally incompassed with one company, that will give me all the assistant that i need. Oh and he does, as of now, want to go to high school.
mdsmomct
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Robinson curriculum or Accelerated Achievement/A2. We decided on A2 as it has it all except art and music and foreign language. You can order a demo from their site as well to check it out. It goes from K-12 except the math and science so it would be great since your ds wants to go back to school. JMO....

http://www.accelerated-achievement.com/index.htm

You can also do it yourself using the many different websites with free curriculum and the library. Best of luck to you![/url]
dempstermom
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started looking at curriculum myself on a limited budget. I have found some good books at Half price bookstore. Also you might check with a local homeschool group and talk to some parents would let you borrow and or sell previously used books. I'm having good luck with that route as well. Hope that helps.
myshelleluvsu
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: CLASS Reply with quote

Has anyone every heard of or used the curriculum known as CLASS(Christian Liberty Academy School System)?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: CLASS Reply with quote

myshelleluvsu wrote:
Has anyone every heard of or used the curriculum known as CLASS(Christian Liberty Academy School System)?

CLASS itself is not a "curriculum." It started as an extension of Christian Liberty Academy, an actual school in Illinois. (It used to be called "Christian Liberty Academy Satellite Schools; all of the families enrolled were considered to be satellites of Christian Liberty Academy.)

CLASS uses a variety of publishers, including Christian Liberty Press, which is a division of Christian Liberty Academy. When you enroll your dc in CLASS, you get a box of books, a whole year's worth of materials for every subject, including answer keys and a teacher's planning book.

Many people appreciate the convenience of using CLASS; it's very reasonably priced, too.

I'm not much of a just-like-school kind of person, so CLASS doesn't appeal to me, but there hsers who use it every year.

You still have to follow the hsing laws in your own state, of course. Enrolling in CLASS does not exempt you from doing so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: