Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online private school?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goddesscordelia
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Online private school? Reply with quote

I'm thinking this might be a good homeschool option for us- but I'm not sure. I want structure and teacher support- I have a 5th grader. Any experiences or suggestions? Right now, he's still in school but hates it.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of it would depend on which on-line private school you're talking about.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
WANTED
User

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also wanting to know more about this option as well. I am currently in Augusta and am about to be in Savannah.

I have two reasons for wanting to pursue this option. First, I'm military and am finding that the times I have to move are in the middle of the semester. Secondly, and most importantly, I'm extremely fed up with how the public school(s) have been treating my child and the pace they hold him to. I feel it is well below his level of ability.

I have barely started researching in to this, but my wife and I are looking to pursue this route ASAP. Anyone have any experience with any of the international online schools at the elementary level? One that looks promising (at least to me) is the International Connections Academy. However, I too have no experience with any of this and am just scratching the surface as to all that's involved with this. Any and all input appreciated. Thanks in advance.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WANTED wrote:
I am also wanting to know more about this option as well. I am currently in Augusta and am about to be in Savannah.

I have two reasons for wanting to pursue this option. First, I'm military and am finding that the times I have to move are in the middle of the semester. Secondly, and most importantly, I'm extremely fed up with how the public school(s) have been treating my child and the pace they hold him to. I feel it is well below his level of ability.

I have barely started researching in to this, but my wife and I are looking to pursue this route ASAP. Anyone have any experience with any of the international online schools at the elementary level? One that looks promising (at least to me) is the International Connections Academy. However, I too have no experience with any of this and am just scratching the surface as to all that's involved with this. Any and all input appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can teach your children at home without enrolling them in something like International Connections Academy.

In any case, you'd still have to comply with the laws regarding homeschooling in the states you live in.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WANTED - online courses can be good when there is a high degree of interaction in terms of message boards, maybe regular chats or video conferencing, and when the subject matter lends itself well to an electronic interface. I've taken some courses where the teacher only posts once a week and there isn't really any student interaction to speak of, or courses where I'm trying to draw graphs and complex math formulas on my computer. Not much fun.

Short version - I'd use online courses as supplement, rather than everything. And I'd probably wait until around the end of elementary school. Everything up to then is really pretty easy to do using regular curriculum, even if you (the parent) never even finished high school. Look for a packaged curriculum if you don't want to mix and match, though for math I always recommend Saxon because their style is quite successful all the way to around the end of Algebra II (if your children find math easy, just skip every other problem in the math sets).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: