Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about Homeschooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiffany05
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Questions about Homeschooling Reply with quote

So my son is only 2 1/2, so I still have awhile, but choosing whether to homeschool is such a life changer for everyone in the family that I want to make sure I have everything thought through. I have two books about homeschool on their way, but I had a question. Besides my 2 1/2 year old, I also have a 6 month old. We eventially, though, plan on having another little one. My only thought is that during pregnancy I get so sick that I have to be put on IVs and the last one I had to be bed ridden for awhile. I just worry that if I do get pregnant while my son begins homeschooling, what if I am not able to teach him for a few months?

Another question I have is about the curriculums. I was talking to a friend who homeschools and she said that certain curriculums are favored by colleges. So do colleges really look at what curriculum you teach them? Will your kids have a more difficult time getting into a college, lets say, if you make up your own curriculum?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about Homeschooling Reply with quote

Tiffany05 wrote:
So my son is only 2 1/2, so I still have awhile, but choosing whether to homeschool is such a life changer for everyone in the family that I want to make sure I have everything thought through. I have two books about homeschool on their way, but I had a question. Besides my 2 1/2 year old, I also have a 6 month old. We eventially, though, plan on having another little one. My only thought is that during pregnancy I get so sick that I have to be put on IVs and the last one I had to be bed ridden for awhile. I just worry that if I do get pregnant while my son begins homeschooling, what if I am not able to teach him for a few months?

Your son's education won't be harmed if you are unable to teach him for a few months. Make that your "summer vacation," and pick up where you left off when you're ready. Smile

Quote:
Another question I have is about the curriculums. I was talking to a friend who homeschools and she said that certain curriculums are favored by colleges. So do colleges really look at what curriculum you teach them? Will your kids have a more difficult time getting into a college, lets say, if you make up your own curriculum?

With all due respect to your friend, most colleges don't actually know which textbooks or other materials their applicants used. Colleges care about ACT/SAT scores, portfolios, transcripts, etc.

Also, "curriculum" does NOT mean "that stack of books there." It means "the course of study offered by an institution of education." ABeka, Bob Jones University Press, Saxon, and so on are NOT "curriculum." They are textbooks. If a college wants to know an applicant's "curriculum" the answer is "English," "American History," "Biology," with details as to the content of the course. The correct answer is NOT "ABeka" (although it may be appropriate to include the exact title of a text that was used. The text is just NOT the curriculum.)
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies

Last edited by elliemaejune on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, your son will not be harmed if you are sick for a while during a pregnancy. There are still things you can do. For example, read books to him, let him watch educational videos, have him work on the computer, etc. You can easily make up for that lost time later. Homeschooling allows for flexibility. That's one reason I love it.

I have never heard that colleges prefer certain curriculums. You can definitely make up your own curriculum. College admissions officers are looking for a well-rounded student -- one who has good grades, good SAT/ACT score, participation in extracurricular activities or a job, volunteer work, etc. They do not care what curriculum you used. Don't worry about that. Best wishes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: