Homeschooling only in math?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

JustAndrew
User

Homeschooling only in math?

Postby JustAndrew » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Bottom line is that we live in a school district that has become terrible and things are getting worse. I've got two boys, 4th grade and 7th grade who both have an aptitude for math. They aren't brilliant, they aren't off the charts, but they are at the top in their classes.

Problem is that the school's new "common core" mixed with the No Child Left Behind and a small school with limited resources is that both are being slowed down to the speed of the slowest kids in the class.

We've met with teachers and administrators and we get the whole active listening but no response over and over.

The school is bad enough that we'll send them to a local private school starting in grade 9. There are no private options around for K-8 that would work.

This means that I want to make sure that they are ready going into grade 9 to be competitive. We're a science centered family and want to give the opportunity to compete in high school in college. I think they should be on track to take Calculus in high school, so I'm thinking ideally they want to be done with Algebra I by the end of 8th grade - more if they are prepared for it.

The school won't help, so I'm wondering about teaching them math at home - just math, nothing else.

They both really like school and love the social aspect and I don't want to take them away from that, so the idea of pulling them totally does not appeal.

Wondering what kind of thoughts you all might have for me?

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:16 pm

You wouldn't be "homeschooling" math. You'd be helping your dc with the math they aren't getting at school. Parents have been doing this for generations. :-)
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Getting Started”