Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding time to correct work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
su
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Finding time to correct work Reply with quote

I love this topic! I love to hear how others school their kids. I love to glean ideas from other homeschoolers.
I have been hsing for about 10 years, but I still seem to have a hard time with getting to correcting my kid's work. Embarassed I will do ok for a while, then it just stacks up, especially as the older ones' work gets harder! For the last two years, I have had my older 2 (out of 5) correct their daily math and grammar lessons (I correct tests - when I get to it! Embarassed ). That has helped, but getting the younger ones' work corrcted, (and the extra work of the older ones) can be such a challenge. How do some of you deal with getting to correcting your kids work?? Where do you fit it in?
Thanks for any input!!
lydiavj
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Right now I am only homeschooling my 7 year old daughter. What I do is, right after I give her an assignment and she completes it, I correct it right then and there.

She still needs alot of assistance from me so I guess it's a little different from your situation. I'm guessing your kids are alot bigger.

I'll be homeschooling my little one in September, so that will be a real challenge!

Lilly

Be a WAHM like me!
Visit: www.netmomof2.com
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same thing. When my sons are done with a sheet, they bring it to me, I look it over to make sure it is right and then they can move to the next thing. I know me, if i don't do it right away, it won't get done Wink
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
su
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That used to work when the kids were little and the work was easier to correct (and when there weren't so many of them), but now, someone is always waiting for my time next. Confused Any moms with highschool age kids with ideas on how to tackle the corrections? I suppose I just need to get more disciplined about it, but sometimes other moms have ingenious ideas to help in these areas!
su
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to let you ladies who replied know, I am going to try to be more disciplined and correct as many papers as I can, when they finish them! I don't want to sound like I am taking your response lightly! Smile
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

su wrote:
when the kids were little and the work was easier to correct (and when there weren't so many of them), but now, someone is always waiting for my time next. Confused Any moms with highschool age kids with ideas on how to tackle the corrections?

My 5 oldest kids are in 12th, 11th, 8th, 2nd and Kindergarten curricula this year. I have the same frustrations, but I don't have time to let it bother me very often.

I assign the 3 older ones a lot of essays so if I never get time to "correct" them, at least they learned something from doing it.

When a child finishes work, s/he puts it on my bed so I will eventually notice it before the day is through--even if that's at 4 a.m. Very Happy I may not take time to correct it when I move it off the bed, but at least I know it's been done and is waiting for me.

The easiest time for me to correct things is after the rest of the family have all gone to bed at night. But the older I get the harder it is for me to stay awake till all hours. <sigh>

I'm right there with ya, su! Wink

Ramona
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although my older brother and I are self-taught, our mother does all the correcting. We are both high school students. There are some things (like online self-check quizzes) where we take the quiz, then it does an auto-correct, but on our paper assignments, we have a folder we put everything in. Because it is just us two being homeschooled, my mom is able to correct all the papers from the folder at the end of each marking period and file away our m.p. grades on an online grading program without doing too much work. Usually I help her organize the papers into subjects, then file them into piles by date. Then she does all the grading (often she will go off of teacher reference book answers that she has, or she corrects them from internet sources.)
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 5 ranging in ages from 14 (9th grade this year) to 7 (2nd grade this year). When the kids finish a subject they hand it in in the "hand in" pile, as I grade it I place it in the "corrections" pile if there are corrections or the "hand back" pile if there are none. I have two seperate piles so I don't have to tell them everytime they come if they have something to change. If there seems to be something they need help with I put a note on it to see me. Every once in a while I won't get the grading done before the end of the school day, I do it at night after they are in bed and lay it on their desks so in the morning they have their stuff. It is a lot of work, but I personally want to see how they are doing, so I do all their checking.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each year, I find ways to do less checking and know how they are doing at the same time. Each year I get more comfortable with what we are doing.

Right now, the main thing I check is pre cal. Of course this is just our first week but I've chosen materials that either I can tell how they are doing by working with them or that self check or are writing assignments.

This helps a LOT.

The worst year for me was Algebra (cause I hate that subject) and Latin.

There was so much grading.

Whew! I'm glad that for the most part, I've found a better way.
RShaw27
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to grade as it is being turned in. SOmetimes I can't get right to it, but it is all graded and handed back by the end of the day for all three.
TriciaC
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I divide the kind of assignments I give my 8 year old into two main categories:
1. Workbook based assignments : Spelling, Math, vocabulary, reading Comprehension, Foreign Languages
2. Eclectic assignments: Composition, essays for notebooking, experiments, drawings for notebooking.

For Category 1 assignments, I grade them immediately ( well, almost always!) so that I can give immediate feedback, point out errors, etc. Besides, these assignments are easier to grade because of the workbook format.

For Category 2 assignments, I take about 2 days to grade. Firstly, these assignments are usually a compilation on one theme and therefore would be done over a matter of days e.g. the Olympics in Ancient Greece, which may consist of a drawing, a short essay and some a mini-book of games played. I then give comments on presentation ( is there an evident effort to make the work neat and organized?), content (were the main points covered?) and writing (composition).

I hope this helps Smile
mindy8
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: I am with you Reply with quote

I have eight munchkins and have an impossible time correcting everything. However, I am thinking I would be more effective and productive if I could use all the energy from worrying and guilt and pour it into homeschooling. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: