Working curriculum with a Sensory Integration problems

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

dempstermom
User

Working curriculum with a Sensory Integration problems

Postby dempstermom » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:23 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:03 pm

If he likes math, Miquon is wonderful and fun, and inexpensive. THe rest of curriculum could probably be more unschooling. Just letting him decide what he wants to learn about, go to the library and help him find the answers to his questions. There are some wonderful free websites for handwriting, and other things. Use the internet and you will find some great stuff.(make sure you have a good filter.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

dempstermom
User

Postby dempstermom » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:49 am

schoolingK2
User

Postby schoolingK2 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:50 am

If he gets things quickly and you are on a budget that doesn't allow you to spend a lot on a curriculum, I would say for kindergarten just to get started, you may consider the standard of learning (Sols) and teach concept off of that. Go to the local library and do programs with them.

I buy paste and cut books from the dollar store to work on fine motor skills and have bought the cards with shoe strings you lace. I’ve made my own shapes with paper plates and a hole puncher. All these are great for fine motor skills.

Do you have an OT (occupation therapist)? They can help, if you can find one knowledgeable with sensory diets (this is just a term used to know what sensory integration techniques will work best for your child). I have read "Out of Sync Child" and "Raising a sensory smart child". These are wonderful.

I was getting my curriculums from EBay (do use caution, sometimes pieces are missing, don’t go over your budget) used curriculum sales (I will even negotiate prices), or discount coupons with our local Christian book store (sometimes this allows me to buy it new cheaper than used).

I set a budget of what I could afford, then I addressed what needs do I need to meet, and this is how I can up with a curriculum to start with.

A few moms in our area home-school off a “shoe string budgetâ€

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”