Is home schooling legal in Australia?

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

sunnyangels
User

Is home schooling legal in Australia?

Postby sunnyangels » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:03 am

is home schooling legal in australia?

also, does anyone knows any list of australian universities that accept home schoolers (home schoolers friendly)

many thanks.
sunny

Theodore

Re: Is home schooling legal in Australia?

Postby Theodore » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:33 am

Is Homeschooling Legal? (in Australia)
Australian Homeschool Groups

I would assume that since homeschooling is legal, Australian universities accept homeschoolers, but I can't give specifics.

homey
User

Postby homey » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:38 pm

Hi Sunnyangels,

The legal-ness of homeschooling in Australia varies from state to state. Some states have more homeschooler friendly laws than others. (Tasmania has particularly nice laws!) It has been awhile since I have checked into that, so I'm not all that up to date...

As for university, I was fully homeschooled and then went on to study at uni in Australia. I applied by way of the "alternative entrance" option, which meant I had to sit the STAT (a comprehension test) and write an essay explaining why I wanted to study my particular chosen course at my particular chosen university.

I studied via distance (from home) with the University of New England.

Hope that helps. :-)

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:57 pm

G'day sunny, yes it is legal just that the laws are a pitta! I am seriously looking into joining an American umbrella school to try and avoid our nasty laws.

Our homeschooling magazine "Educational Choices" had a good article on how homeschooled students can go to uni. probably in issue 5 or 6. http://eleanor.sparks.to/
Jo from Australia

1to1tutor
User

Postby 1to1tutor » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:39 am

Yes !!!! Home education is legal in Australia. But, as you know the law differ from place to place. Australia may be one country but every state is totally different in regards to this.
Homeschooling networks can help you with legal information, but check for yourself - information may not be accurate or up-to-date.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:18 pm

1to1tutor wrote:Yes !!!! Home education is legal in Australia. But, as you know the law differ from place to place. Australia may be one country but every state is totally different in regards to this.
Homeschooling networks can help you with legal information, but check for yourself - information may not be accurate or up-to-date.

You do realize this thread is six years old?
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Homeschool Law”