Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need a pep talk please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amiesmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: I need a pep talk please! Reply with quote

This is our first year homeschooling. I have a first grader and a kindergartener that I'll be teaching. I also have a 3 year old and will have a newborn come late September. My first grader went to public school last year for kinder, and I'll just say it wasn't the greatest experience, that's why we're homeschooling.

So, I'm just feeling totally overwhelmed. My 3 year old is a hand full to say the least. I don't really know what to do with her while I'm trying to work with the others. She is definitely not good at entertaining herself, I guess that happens when you have 2 older siblings to play with all the time. She likes to be the center of attention, so if I'm working with someone 1 on 1, she will come over and be very disruptive. She's not very willing when I say something like "you work on this while sister and I do this". She'll do puzzles if I sit with her, she'll color if I'm sitting right next to her, but not independently. And then of course there's the new baby coming in just a few more weeks. I'm actually not as worried because at least she won't be able to move around for a while, but still I have to take care of her and her needs too. I have an awesome and understanding DH who will help out where he can when he's home, but I prefer to get "school" done in the morning time, as my kids are more cooperative earlier in the day.

So, I'm betting there are many of you who have BTDT. I'm just looking for some encouragement, maybe tips for what I can do with my 3 year old during school time... I just really want to do what's best for all of my kids, and my oldest is such an eager learner, I don't want to short change her or my kinder on his first year of school either.
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your 3 year old take a nap? If so, maybe you could do most of the one-on-one during that time. Another idea is to buy a lot of toys at yard sales or thrift stores and put them in totes. Then rotate the totes. The 3 year old can only play with those toys during school time and only one tote at a time. In addition, maybe you could get some educational dvds and books that she likes at the library. She could watch one dvd or look at her books but only during school time. When my daughter was 3 (and still now that she is 4), she liked to have her own "school books", which are workbooks from the dollar store. She would work in them - just scribble or cut with scissors and glue things, etc. - while we did school work and she loved it. Maybe you could say "you have to work by yourself in your school books and show me how big and independent you are!". I am not against giving rewards for good behavior - LOL. (something small) Smile Hope this helps a little.
amiesmom
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish she still took naps, but no, most days she does not. She does love DVDs, and I have a lot of educational ones, however I think it would be too distracting to my other kids for her to watch during school time because of where the TV is... I think I will pick up some things at the dollar store for her to do/scribble Smile

Thanks for your response!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: