New, needing to start ASAP 1st, 4th, & 5th graders

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

diget7
User

New, needing to start ASAP 1st, 4th, & 5th graders

Postby diget7 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi everyone!
First, thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm so beyond nervous, slightly lost, but mostly just new to the whole homeschooling process.

I know I need to file with the state and plan to do so Monday, when they open.
I have read so many things on curriculum and beyond and just get lost in it all. I was just let go from my job, so things are tight. I know there are so many resources available to teach the kids what they need to know. My main question is: How do I know what they will need to learn for this year? Is there any way to do this without a paid curriculum & the text books?

I downloaded some free diagnostic tests that were recommended to figure out exactly where each of the kids are at and what we need to focus on.

Any information anyone is willing to provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for reading and for any advice/information.

~Dani~

Munchie33
User

Postby Munchie33 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:59 am

Welcome Dani!

One of the best things about homeschooling is that it does not have to be expensive. Unlike with a lot of schools, more money does not equal a better education. If you look at the curriculum discussion section of the forum, there is a compilation of links to free curricula which you can use. A curriculum will let you know what your children need to learn each year. Keep in mind that these do not need to be stuck to rigidly - grade 4 stuff can be learnt by your grade 1 child, and vica versa, as long as most of it gets done in the end.

Depending on your children, you'll need to adjust to how they learn. The first few months might be bumpy, but accept that 1. Things do not always go according to plan, but as long as they are learning or practicing something, that's good, and 2. Each child learns differently, and what works for one might not work for another. Some kids simply need a pile of worksheets and a list of what to do for the day and are happy enough to do it themselves. Others need some motivation or help. It really depends on your kids, and keep in mind that they may change from one type of learner to another as they grow.

Is there a library close by? It should have many of the books (including text books) that you would have to purchase and use for school. Make sure to work out what you need in advance so you can borrow them on time.

Do you have a home computer? Can you print worksheets at home? Do your children have computer access each or must the computer be shared?

Do you have easy internet access? If so, there are scores of online videos and tutorials for your children. If not, you will perhaps need to use your local library's computer (if at all). Which subjects are you going to be teaching? Diagnostic tests are a great idea. They'll help you figure out where to get started.

It sounds like you need a good curriculum which you can follow so that you can feel assured that your children are covering the correct topics. Have a google around and see what you can find. Draw up a long-term timeline with a brief outline of what should be learnt each term/year. Be ready to mix things up a bit as some topics will be more enjoyable and some more boring than you anticipate, so your kids will need more or less time on these things.

WildOnesMama
User

What do they need to learn

Postby WildOnesMama » Wed May 09, 2012 11:30 am

Return to “Getting Started”