A big concern if I go through with homeschooling

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

pamom1980
User

A big concern if I go through with homeschooling

Postby pamom1980 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:21 am

We are seriously considering the idea of homeschooling at least 1 if not all 3 of our children. BUT, my mother did point out to me to really think it through because if we did go through with it, I would not get any type of break from the kids. While I do love them with all my heart, I do like getting the break from them when they go to school.

What do you all do in this type of situation? Isn't it stressful having the kids home 24/7?
Living life one day at a time

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Thu May 03, 2012 5:55 am

You could have some breaks from them if you sign them up for some homeschool co-op classes, sports, or other types of classes or activities. Most homeschoolers participate in extracurricular activities at least once or twice a week. Also, maybe your mom could offer to keep your kids if you feel stressed and need a break. :)

Yes, sometimes it is hard to be with your kids all the time..........but I have to say that I honestly love it! I would not trade it for anything in the world. We enjoy being together. We are very close to each other.

Here is how I've always looked at it -- My kids will be with me for a short time. It will go by so quickly. Then they will be grown and gone. Then I won't have the pitter- patter of little feet in my house anymore. I won't hear the constant talking and laughter. My house will be quiet........very quiet........and I will have all the time in the world to myself - to do whatever I want.

So for now............I want to be with my kids. I enjoy it. Yes, some days are harder than others, but I think that's true with all jobs.

I have 4 children and we've been homeschooling 12 years. Ages 18, 16, 10 and 4. (Since I have a 4 year old, I will be homeschooling for another 13 years or so and I don't mind at all.) My oldest son is graduating next month and I can tell you that the time has flown by. I don't have any regrets. I'm so glad for the time I was able to spend with him!

pamom1980
User

Postby pamom1980 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 am

Honestly, I was so excited about it last night and then I read my mom's response to us wanting to homeschool the kids and she's what got me doubting things. I know that there are going to be plenty of tough days or days when I really just want to be on my own. But with all the problems we've had with my two oldest in school-- I know that this is the right decision.

I will research the heck out of all of this before the next school year begins, but like everything else in my life--I always tend to overanalyze things and worry about everything until I'm further into it and realize that things are much easier than I thought... :)

Thank you for the support and the advice.. If millions of other families can homeschool successfully, so can we. :)
Living life one day at a time

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Thu May 03, 2012 7:49 am

You're welcome.

You are right - the more research you do, the more confident you will feel. There will always be people who try to make you doubt your decision, but I think as a mother, you have intuition -- and you know what is right for your kids.

Best wishes as you begin your homeschooling journey!

elliemaejune
User

Re: A big concern if I go through with homeschooling

Postby elliemaejune » Thu May 03, 2012 8:28 am

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Munchie33
User

Postby Munchie33 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:55 am

Return to “Getting Started”