Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is one hour a day enough for a 3 yr old at 1 1/2 dev?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radiance7
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: is one hour a day enough for a 3 yr old at 1 1/2 dev? Reply with quote

Hello

I an new here and new to homeshooling.
I've notice "issues" with my son since he was 1, particularly on speech delay. I had him evaluated close to two but they said he was too young.

Hindsight is 20/20 I should have done a private evaluation instead of trusting the eval by the public school back then.

Now that he is 3 I took him again and I am told he has autism. I should get an appointment for the full report next week.

When he started the evaluation process weeks ago, his dad and I (we are divorced) started helping him at home, not really knowing really how, but educational DVD and one on one with him and we are seeing improvements in vocabulary (from 12 to 23 in two weeks) and on eye contact. he is also taking things to mouth less. still very hypersensitive to loud noises (but hey, I dont like them either, I get startled)

Well, becausue our unorganized attempts at home are bringing resources I am looking at homeschooling.

We are both doing something from 30min to an hour a day. Working with preschool books, children nooks, sticket books and children DVDs. most material or activities are for age 1-2.

Is 30 min to an hour enough, Is this something where if i do more per day I will see more improvement? I ask becasue I am considering cutting my hours at work (I work full time) but I would only do it if it is wordth it. I keep my benefits but my income gets reduced by 20%.
Maybe do it for a couple weeks and see if it works? is a two week trial enough. This would be just for the two weekdays I have him with me, i would pick him up at 2 right after his nap instead of 5:30.

What do you think?

Also, I am researching, but the mountains of information are a little overwhelming. can I ask here what is your recommended homeschooling program for a 1-2 year old mind into a 3yr body?**

**That is a generalization but you get the idea, he is at 3-4 when it comes to puzzles, motor skills and matching shapes

Thank you so much!
MamaLibby
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(My kids aren't autistic so take this with a grain of salt)

At 3, "School" shouldn't really be a formal thing at all. Spend time with him. Play like crazy. Color and paint and sing silly songs. On your walk to the playground, talk about the colors you see in the plants, or count out loud the number of steps it takes from one tree to the next. If given enough time, space and encouragement to roam the world is a child's playground.

However, therapy is a different thing. My son spends time daily on fine motor and sensory skills and receives private OT once a week. He, like your son, may be need to be "taught" to play. Demonstrate all the things you can do with his toys; play alongside him. And using letters/phonics for speech therapy is a great idea because it kills two birds with one stone Smile

I have no idea if this was helpful or not, but best of luck and I'm glad you've seen improvement in your son
Nick, age 6
Lydia, age 5
Adam, age 3
Linnea-Claire, age 20 months
Radiance7
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Libby!

My son is 4 now, time flies!

You are right, he needs to be taught how to play "appropriately"
He is getting services, but I think it is too limited, he needs sensory and or, but whatever I find private is too expensive, or at times where I cannot possible take hi to the appointments.

This might be a blessing I. Disguise, it forced me to learn on my own how to do this. I look up ot activities online and we do them home and he responds so well!

My problem is that I dont know what exactly I have to teach. Therapists are very cryptic, recently they told me they wanted him to use more words per semtence. Once I knew that' his dad and I got results in a week!

I need a "curriculum" or a list of things he "should" be able to do at age 4 , things a "normal" kid would know just because.... So I'm collecting ,milestone listings and working from there.

Speech, I learnt I can get a masters in speech delay in 18 months if I do it in an intense, but I am not sure I can do an intensive between my day job and my son, or can I?

I need to learn and do it myself, it seems...

Any I sight is super welcome
Munchie33
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your son is really benefiting from your efforts! As you have realised, you need a list of milestones to work towards to help him. A great idea for doing things on your own. Although you are already collecting some, here are two sites that might also help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_development_stages

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/cchs/growth_approp.asp

Also, another member here has quite a good site with a very comprehensive list of activities to do with her 3-4 year old daughter, sort of like a curriculum. It might help, although it really sounds like you know what you're doing already:

http://www.mudhutmama.com/preschool-homeschool-plan-for-a-free-diy-curriculum-age-3-to-4/

Do let us know how your son progresses!
MamaLibby
User

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symptoms of sensory disorder http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html

Fine motor developmental checklist http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/fine-motor-development-chart.html

Hope this helps!
Nick, age 6
Lydia, age 5
Adam, age 3
Linnea-Claire, age 20 months
Tashathomson
User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At 3, "School" shouldn't really be a formal thing at all. Spend time with him. Play like crazy. Color and paint and sing silly songs. On your walk to the playground, talk about the colors you see in the plants, or count out loud the number of steps it takes from one tree to the next. If given enough time, space and encouragement to roam the world is a child's playground.

Hi MamaLibby,
Preschool is the best option for these children. Here by interacting tones of daily activity they become more active and ready to stay ahead with other's.
At preschool children feel free to share due to the environment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: