Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

missouri homeschoolers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecrew74
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: missouri homeschoolers Reply with quote

hi
i am going to either homeschool my daughter or private school them.
currently i have an 8yr old in school and a 5 yr old at home
im nervous about what will happenwhen i tell the school i will be homeschooling her. i have not found any local groups for support.
is there anyone that has been in this situation?
ty
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was nervous at first too, but after I made the decision a few other families decided to take their children out too. We decided to make our own support group. WE advertised in the local paper and we found a few more families. If you look around you may be able to start your own group. Some schools may act shocked and hurt that you don't trust them with your children, taking a child out with the right attitude is essential. Don't blame the school, just tell them that you are doing what you feel is in your child's best interest. Some schools will actually try to help you get started, you don't have to use there advice but at least they are noce about it.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. There are several groups in MO. It depends on where in the state you're located. (I know there are good ones in St. Charles and Columbia.)

2. Ask your local librarians. They usually know the hsers in the area, and could give your phone number to them (hsers tend to use the library a lot).

I hope it helps!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that having a support group can be helpful, but the truth is that if you come to believe that homeschooling is the best thing for your dc, then you must homeschool them whether you are able to find a support group or not. In fact, in some ways the lack of local homeschooling groups can be a good thing; it is not uncommon for new hsers to become so involved in their groups that they do not develop the strength of their own convictions--and it is so important to have that strength.

I started hsing in 1982. There were no support groups. None. I knew one other hser, and we were close for only about the first 6 mos. I hsed. Eventually there were support groups, and I enjoyed them, but I believe the first year or so that I hsed independently were the most beneficial.

There are TONS of homeschooling discussion forums where you can ask questions and have discussions, on your own time, in your own home.
LauraLeigh
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the crew: I am in Missouri also. I have'nt decided whether or not to hs yet, but i have found a group for homeschoolers on Yahoo. You might try their search engine. Very Happy
kelsey nigus
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: need help here Reply with quote

I am in MO too. I have decided to home school my 5 yr old. I can't find any info on state/gov. requir. EVerything I find starts with age 7. I would love to have any comments and help.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because there are no legal requirements for children under age 7, assuming you haven't already enrolled in a school.
lishut
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: missouri homeschoolers Reply with quote

Hi,
I am in Missouri also. I started hs last year half way through with 2 of my dd. Unfortunately the older one (7th) grade wanted to go back and so i let her, just wasn't her thing. I am still doing my 5th gr dd and she is doing ok. Looking into bringing my now 3rd and 2nd graders home next year. I know that a support group is probably a good thing as i have read alot about them, but i am so terribly backward and shy that i find it difficult to get out and meet people. I am hoping to gain some confidence and meet a few people here to get some ideas.
LauraLeigh
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also in Missouri.

I found the group i joined, by browsing yahoo search, and i joined a yahoo group.

I only started homeschooling my 3rd grade son 2 weeks ago,but i have been reading and asking questions of the groups members, and it has proven to be a valuable asset. Very Happy

lishut
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lauraleigh,
Love your name by the way!! I will eventually get busy and find people who can help me through the tough spots. I have found that i have found something i am passionate about, i just hope i can keep my kiddos feeling just as passionate. I love learning together and i am re-learning so much!! We use the Ace curriculum right now, first year, but i am exploring other options. What are you using?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: