Best Phonics Primer and/or Textbook?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Xapis10
User

Best Phonics Primer and/or Textbook?

Postby Xapis10 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:26 pm

My son is reading three letter words (with short vowels, which is basically the phonics he knows so far). I want to continue in the correct sequence with his phonics, and I'd also like to have things for him to read (that don't add "sight" words, although he is fine with the word, "the," since he has understanding of "th"). I like the look of McGuffy primers, with their simple pictures. I think I want a few pictures, but definitely not highly distracting ones (or ones that are so obvious that the child can guess all the words instead of sounding them out).
So what are the "real" phonics programs that aren't simply "phonics-based" with a combination of methods? And what are good readers/primers?
I've heard Abeka primers are comparable to McGuffy (except with modern English). Also, does Abeka do real phonics?

If something is labeled as "phonics-based," does this always mean it is a mixture? I'm thinking of "Reading Made Easy" by Greenleaf.

Also wondering about these: BJU Beginnings, McRuffy Phonics and Reading, Horizons, Kidread by Barker Creek, Starting Comprehension: Stories to Advance Reading & Thinking, Christian Liberty Press, Christian Light, Alpha-Phonics, Spalding.

Thanks so much for input!
Last edited by Xapis10 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Best Phonics Primer and/or Textbook?

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:13 pm

ABeka does true phonics.

BJUP has some sight-reading elements.

I have not seen Reading Made Easy with my own eyeballs. (BTW, it's by Valerie Bendt; Greenleaf Press just sells it. :) ) I also haven't seen Alphabet Island or Kidread.

Although I have not seen McRuffy with my own eyeballs, and I know that many people use it and like it, the samples on the Web site do not impress me.

I haven't seen Kidread, either, but based on what I know about phonics and publishers and what I read on the website, it looks like sight-reading to me.

CLP's Starting Comprehension Stories doesn't teach phonics; it is what you use after you've taught dc to read, along the lines of any other vocabulary-controlled basal reader series.

AlphaPhonics is true phonics.

My favorite method is Spalding. (Spalding is the method; Writing Road to Reading--WRTR-- is the manual). It teaches children to read by teaching them to spell; it's the ultimate phonics and spelling method. :D
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:05 pm

I use ABeka because it is true phonics. For readers after that, I bought a set of books called Now I'm Reading. My kids loved them! (there are lots of sets; we didn't use all of them........just a few) Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Reading-Playf ... 652&sr=1-1

Xapis10
User

Postby Xapis10 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks for the help so far!

Would CLP readers progress in order of what phonics are supposed to be learned at different levels? Or is there a better option for readers?

Still looking for input :)

Xapis10
User

Postby Xapis10 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Xapis10
User

Alphabet Island

Postby Xapis10 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:44 pm

elliemaejune
User

Re: Alphabet Island

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Xapis10
User

Re: Best Phonics Primer and/or Textbook?

Postby Xapis10 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:27 am

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”