questions about homeschooling

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

katierox
User

questions about homeschooling

Postby katierox » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:43 am

hello i'm katie, i'm 13 from dorset in the UK & i am very close to beccoming home schooled. But before we make that choice, i have a lot of questions to ask!! :?:

is it really easy to make home schooled friends like all the guides say it is? What can you do if you can't find any friends at your local home school group?

i don't want to seem insulting, but do home schooled teens share the same interests/have fun the same way as schooled? like, i love to hang out with people in groups and play a fun game or i particularly love singing to each others music.

it's clear that you can be sociable when home schooled. but can you be really sociable? like have tons and tons and friends, almost the popular kid because i love having lots of friends. can you socialize a lot with your old school friends and people who go to school in general? is it hard getting a boyfriend/girlfriend?

when you told everyone(family, friends, school, authorities etc) did you get a lot of negative responses? and did the school try and persuade you not to? is it true an education-y person(i dunno what they're called haha) comes around your house every once in a while to check you're learning properly?

i love acting, singing, and dancing very much and what to do all of them as a career when i'm older! how when home schooling do you do these activities? is drama hard because you're not in a huge class?

Phew! Well i'll probably think of some more questions another time:p but that's quite enough for now:p can't wait to hear some answers! thank you!
katierox :) x :) x

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:19 pm

Most homeschoolers are probably representative of any group of well-educated students. I know all my siblings have plenty of friends, from community college, swim team, Civil Air Patrol, Tae Kwon Do, etc. Homeschool groups are good places to meet other homeschoolers, but that's just one small part of socialization.

Iluvchocolate
User

questions...

Postby Iluvchocolate » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:07 am

Hi Katie!

I think it's probably as easy to make home school friends as it is to make public school friends. I mean, at school, you're with a certain group of people and you try to fit in and see what you have in common and stuff and in a home school group it's the same way. Only better, because you already have one thing in common - you all home school! As far as the kids being the same, well, I guess it just depends on what group you join. Teens are teens, right? Sometimes you meet up with a cool group and sometimes you might meet up with a few that you don't have much in common with. That's just the way it goes. But when you home school, it's not like you're cut off from the rest of the world. You still see all your regular friends after school and on weekends. It's like attending a private school but still having friends in a public school. No big deal. :)

Return to “Getting Started”