Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd Grader with Dyslexia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krisci
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: 2nd Grader with Dyslexia Reply with quote

Hi everybody.

My daughter was diagnosed with dyslexia this year. She does attend weekly therapy sessions but we decided homeschooling might be beneficial as well.

I'm trying to figure out her curriculum for 2nd Grade. Any recommendations? She's used A Beka at her school. She does really well at math (generally As or A-s on her tests) but story problems baffle her. I don't know if we should stick with A Beka for math. I also used A Beka when I homeschooled my son during 2nd grade so I'm very familiar with the curriculum.

I'm open to suggestions though. If you have a child with Dyslexia, I'd love to hear what curriculum you use and if it's 2nd grade, I'd love to hear what you used for each subject as well as your honest opinion of it. It would help so much. Thank you.
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a site that might be helpful. -

http://www.learningabledkids.com/learning_disability_LD/dyslexia_resources.html
hayesatlbch
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Dyslexia program K-3 Reply with quote

I collect links to free dyslexia help products, services and information and post them on my link page . The address is http://www.dyslexiaglasses.com/links.html .

Of interest to you would be a link to a program designed for teachers to teach reading to children K-3 at risk for reading problems. It is a complete step by step program and includes free down loadable work sheets. While designed for teachers and multiple students it should be applicable for home school also. The program is free and should meet your needs.

There is an assortment of other links that you may also find useful . The common thread is that they are free and should be helpful for dyslexics. Laughing
Llola
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized this thread is old but here's what I'm using with my son, who has severe dyslexia. My son is learning to read and spell. Very Happy

Apples & Pears - Spelling program that really clicks with dyslexic kids.

Dancing Bears - Be sure to take the assessment. If your child needs a slower pace the go with Bear Necessities. The stories are quite strange but kids find them interesting.

Teaching Textbooks - This is a computer based math curriculum. It starts at grade 3 and it's not cheap but you may be able to pick it up cheaper at ebay. If you do have to pay full price, remember, you will be able to resell it and get back most of your money. My son thrives with this math program.

Winning With Writing - A gentle writing curriculum. It's very inexpensive and effective.

Growing With Grammar - My son is doing wonderful with this program. The lessons are short and easy to understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: