Language arts curriculum feedback

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Marie131
User

Language arts curriculum feedback

Postby Marie131 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:35 pm

I am homeschooling my oldest ds this year for grade 1. I am not pleased with our LA curriculum this year so I want to make sure that next year we have a great program. I should note that ds is a wiggly willy who hates (and yes hate is a strong word, but he really truly does hate) worksheets. They are torture for him so I would like to keep workbooks to an absolute minimum. I am torn b/n LA programs for next year; Learning Language Arts through Literature and All About Spelling plus whatever other LA curriculum that I may need (what would I need for grade 2 btw??), or possibly a combination of both programs. I was also looking at Spell to Write and Read, but the fact that they suggest attending a training session to implement the curriculum has scared me off.

I will also have another ds doing Kindergarten at home next year and would appreciate any LA suggestions for him. Ideally, I would like to use the same program for both, if I can integrate them together so that I am just teaching 1 LA lesson that would be PERFECT!

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions you may have, TIA!! :)

Llola
User

Postby Llola » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Have you looked at Winning With Writing or maybe First Language Lessons?

My son is using WWW and so far he enjoys doing the work. The lessons are short and easy. I haven't used FLL but I've heard nothing, but good things about the curriculum. Another one I haven't used but have heard good things about is Rod & Staff but that curriculum is NOT secular.

Blessings4all
User

Postby Blessings4all » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Sometimes you can spruce up a curriculum with fun activities. There are lots of things you can do with Spelling to make it more interesting. You can let him spell his words in sand with his finger. He can bounce a ball for each letter of a word as he spells it aloud. He can practice with Scrabble tiles.
I have more suggestions here.
If he is wiggly, I would include more kinsthetic (physical) activities into his lessons. He might like standing up at a table or counter to do some of his work. I know of one family with a child like that.
It also helps sometimes to give frequent breaks. 1st graders don't have a huge attention span like we do. Hope this helps.
Many blessings,
Susan

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”