Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What room do you HS in?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkpierce95
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Where we homeschool Reply with quote

We used to homeschool in the playroom, the huge room waaay back in the corner of the house. I thought it would be ideal because it was set apart, and there was plenty for the youngers to do as I schooled the olders. Then we decided to move the boys into the playroom and oldest dd into the boys' old room so we could have our downstairs guest room back. THAT is when I discovered how absolutely wonderful it can be to school in the kitchen!! I don't know why I didn't make this switch two 1/2 years ago when we first began homeschooling!! I love it!

It's so convenient to school in the kitchen. The transition from breakfast to school, for example, is so smooth. And if someone is still eating, it's OK. If I want to make a cup of tea while someone is beginning school, it works out great. I can also be clearing the table, washing up, or preparing the next meal while someone is working on a problem. It's wonderful! I keep all of our daily books right there in the dish cabinet beside the table. All other books, supplies, games, and manipulatives are stored in the guest room (that room that used to be dd's room) right off the kitchen. The only problem...I'm running out of space in there (I've begun storing in bins under the bed too! Confused )

Anyway, sorry so long...can you tell I'm thrilled that I no longer have to drag myself up to the playroom (which is ALWAYS an absolute disaster area I might add) to do school?! Very Happy

Kathleen Pierce
~online writing and literature classes for the high school student~
www.write4homeschool.com
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we moved into our new house I saw our sun room as a great place to homeschool, before I knew if however, it turned into a storage/playroom. and we use the dining room table for the same reasons! It makes life so much easier. My downside, my dining room walls, don't look like most! Smile
But I don't care.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our apartment is very small, but all rooms overlook the ocean. So we homeschool at a small table by the window in the master bedroom. When a hurricane comes, we homeschool in the car Wink
4given
User

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minniewannabe wrote:
Our apartment is very small, but all rooms overlook the ocean. So we homeschool at a small table by the window in the master bedroom. When a hurricane comes, we homeschool in the car Wink

Sounds absolutely beautiful and terrifying at the same time. Very Happy Shocked
JLee74
User

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We home school in the kitchen at the table...
roo
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started homeschooling in the den, using seperate desks and such but it's become so much easier to sit at the diningroom table. That way I can sit inbetween and help as needed! So, we've got a unconventional diningroom! LOL...Chalkboard and maps and everything is in there!
2 tabby cats and 1 baby bunny named Moses!
ontheprairie
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of our HS is done in the kitchen/dinning room. Our oldest two sit at our dinning room table with their books and mine... so I can sit with them during some of the subjects. My kindergartener and I sit at our island. For quiet time (reading/tests) and for typing the kids use the office which is first door off the dinning room/kitchen. Everything happens at the center of our home and I love it. I am always where they are... either at the computer in the office, or in the kitchen. Love it.
ourfamilyof5
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Floor! Reply with quote

Our livingroom or kitchen floor! We have trays that we use. Works really well for us, we have a small house & no room for a desk. Very Happy
partyoffive
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a separate homeschool room.

We will sometimes go outside, but we generally get everything done in that room. It is a bedroom on the first floor right by the kitchen- thank God!

We have a whiteboard, a media center, language center, posters, etc.
DS&DD (3/10)
narrow4life
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Our homeschool education is done in... Reply with quote

We just bought a new house. There is an office area which we hope to do the homeschooling in, but there is not a good area for a decent sized table, just a little desk. Hopefully it will work, but it is only separated from the dining room by the kitchen and it is a straight path through all, so we'll probably end up using the office as the school room, but taking whatever is needed, whenever it is needed to the dining room table.
fanren
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

When we only have two children, started homeschooling, I have a "spare bedroom"to tutor our luxury inch bulletin board, blackboards, and posters. Alas, these days laugh. We are now squeezed into three bedroom house 6 people, and use our school dining room. In it, we have our computer desk, dining table (I think, not really seeing the smile), a small blackboard and some scattered posters. But there is a large window that provides natural light, so we like it a lot.
Blessings4all
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We homeschool in a bedroom that we've converted to a school room. We really like it.
yingxuy
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have built a few in the cabinet and bookcase. Dry wipe board. I'm sure I will add more, but enough. In addition, I have a room scrapbook of their work, but I still have the right to answer any questions.
Momma24
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling HOUSE! Reply with quote

When we started homeschooling 12 years ago we converted our seldom used dining room into a 'school' room, complete with a large marker board, individual desks, etc... As the children grew and learned to read and absorb material on their own, we gradually shifted into their each having desks and a space in their own rooms...for the peace and quiet!

I rarely MAKE them school in their rooms, as I couldn't stand being in a 'cell' all day myself, but occasionally I do need them to be in a quieter place when other activities make it impossible to concentrate.

In all reality...their books travel! So the whole house is their school! : )
Blessings4all
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We converted a bedroom into a school room. My daughters each have a desk for their laptops and books. I have a desk. We have 4 bookshelves of books (we love to read) and a set of white stackable shelves full of stuffed animals. They add to the decor of the room. Laughing

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: