My Long Long Long day as an 8th grader

Describe your average homeschool day and give new homeschoolers an idea of what to expect!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

phil-pod
User

My Long Long Long day as an 8th grader

Postby phil-pod » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:12 am

Dont get me wrong, I love homeschooling, but my days are long. I started homeschooling in December of 06` and I thought that it would be a breeze, but I was wrong. Heres my day.

8 a.m. Wake up / shower
8:30 a.m. Meet in schoolroom
8:30- 12 p.m. Work on 1 subject
12-12:15 p.m. Lunch Break
12:15- 4 p.m. More of that 1 subject

*Some days I work till 6 and most days I have to do work when I go to my room at 10*
~*Hannah*~

I love Gerard Way from MCR!!!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:19 pm

Hmm, now we all want to know what that one subject is :) Even the hardest subject I ever covered, Calculus II, only took like a month at that pace.

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:48 am

indeed..
8)

phil-pod
User

well

Postby phil-pod » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:58 am

well...it all depends on what subject my mom wants me to. Math, Language, Science, or History. The books have about 3 chapters in them and each chapter has about 200 questions. :shock: I have to take 2 tests aweek..over 2 books. Its horrible. I love homeschooling...and i am new to it...but gosh! :cry:
~*Hannah*~

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:09 pm

That sounds like perhaps a bit much. What grade level are you in and how many years do you have left to graduate from high school? Do you work year-round or follow the school year?

phil-pod
User

Postby phil-pod » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:53 pm

I am in 8th grade...and if i was in public school....then i would be in middle school. I do not work year around...but my mom is gonna make me work over the summer
~*Hannah*~

su
User

Postby su » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:47 am

Wait a minute... 8:30-4 (or later) with a 15 min lunch break, covering one subject? :shock: I don't get it. What program are you using?!

phil-pod
User

well

Postby phil-pod » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:51 am

Omega LifePacs. I am thru an Umbrela school.
~*Hannah*~

su
User

Postby su » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:42 pm

So are you trying to play catch-up since you started in Dec? Are you going at the pace the school wants you to use, or are you trying to do double time? You have to complete 2 whole lifepacs each week? If you are using them for 4 subjects and there are 10 lifepacs per subject, that would be 40 lifepacs. At that pace, that would only take you 20 weeks. Now, if you are trying to catch-up, I understand that it will be grueling for a time. Have you and your parents divided the work up to finish at a certain time? Finally, I ask this last question, only because I deal with this with my own kids, but do you have days where you spend more time spacing out than working? :) I know that some days (and those days get to be loooong) my kids just don't seem to be able to keep their attention on their work.
It does take time to find one's stride when homeschooling, so I'm glad to hear that you seem to be keeping a good attitude in spite of the long days.

phil-pod
User

Postby phil-pod » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:06 pm

well....since I had already done some of the things in history, I started out with 36 books instead of 40. The people at my umbrela school say that I am not behind, but I just can't get that into my mothers head. I do space out alot, and I dont have a certain time that I get to stop working. It depends on when my mother gets tired. And it is usually when my dad gets home from work. He does nothing that involves school with me. (he leaves it to my mom) I have about 26 more books to do. I kinda took December off because my mom gets stressed easily and I am a very emotional person so I couldnt handle her stressed out mood. LOL.
~*Hannah*~

su
User

Postby su » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:17 pm

I always end up taking most of Dec. off too! School and getting ready for Christmas don't always mix too well for me either.
It's easy for a mom to feel a lot of stress with homeschooling (especially if this is her first expirence with it). It can feel like she is under the microscope of those critical of homeschooling, and she wants to make sure her kids are keeping up with other kids! Perhaps your mom will see how well you are doing, and find a more relaxed mode of schooling, but that might take time, so be patient! :D
You could also encourage your mom to look on this board. There are plenty of threads that could encourage her, and if she has any questions, she could ask away!

phil-pod
User

Postby phil-pod » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:37 am

Well.... Mom only has to teach me...my half sister is already out of school and in college. She has always been a very stressed out person...(even when I was in public school!) :roll: Right now we are both sick with a HORRIBLE cold and my dad wont stop bugging us about how we should be working! UGH! :x
~*Hannah*~

momofmy3kids
User

Postby momofmy3kids » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:12 am

Wow Hannah...that is a long day! Of course I only have elementary students, but still...I want to have just a small majority of the day be book learning and the rest experimenting, playing, reading, enjoying the small amount of time they get to be young.

Mark'sGirl
User

Postby Mark'sGirl » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Hi, Hannah, I can sympathize with you. I was homeschooled all my life and remember sitting at the kitchen table "fighting" with my math book, while Mom began supper. Some nights I felt like I was the most abused person in the world, being forced to complete my math assignments while everyone else was enjoying life (or so I felt :wink: ). But it paid off. That never quit attitude I learned helped me to graduate from a Bible college with several difficult health problems. I met my husband there and we are now preparing to be missionaries in India. Keep it up! I love homeschool and wouldn't trade it for anything! My family is closer, I received a better education, and I fell in love with the Lord Jesus Christ because of being homeschooled.

Return to “A Day at Our House”