I need help quitting a public virtual school

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Joann6
User

I need help quitting a public virtual school

Postby Joann6 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi everyone.Ive been homeschooling for 15yrs and now only have a 10yo.Well this year I decided I needed a kick in the pants and joined a local public virtual school. Well its not working out.We feel so rushed and its like we hate school now(I wont launch into a tirade about this now).So we want out.But Im scared, I read they need all kinds of info on what school the child will be enrolled in and that all the materials will need to be sent back.This alone could get expensive as far as all the books.I havent notified the teacher yet either.And if they dont get the info in 20 days then it goes to the truancy dept. How do we get out?
BTW we are in Lawrence ks Virtual school.Its the K12 curriculum and we use our own computer so dont need to sent that back at least.

Has anyone else stopped using a public virtual school mid year?

Thanks ahead for any help.

danielle82
User

Postby danielle82 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:57 pm

What state are you? I would see if there is a site that laws pertinent to homeschooling. In Wa state there is the WHO (washington homeschool organization). To me understanding the virtual schools are just like being enrolled in public schools and the steps that you would take to pull a child out of public education would be the same. I'm not sure on that, and how they differ from state to state

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Depending on your state, it could be as simple as filing a notification with your school superintendent, or there could be additional requirements such as attendance, recordkeeping, yearly standardized testing, that sort of thing. It's rare that they have to approve you before you can start homeschooling, however, except perhaps for special needs children.

Tell us your state, we can get you more specific information from HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association).

Joann6
User

Postby Joann6 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:18 pm

We are in KS.
I contacted the teacher on Friday and she told me we could do a 50 percent math.After looking over the schedule for that Im convinced we need to quit.
My dh did fill out the online registration with the state to declare ourselves an unaccredited school.So thats a start.
Now I guess I have to contact the teacher again and tell this is just not going to work for us..I havent even paid the 97 dollar registration for this virtual school. I dont know what they will make us send back either.I guess just the hardback books, math and history and a couple science books.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:22 am

Keep in mind that "Instruction must be provided for a period of time “substantially equivalentâ€

Joann6
User

Postby Joann6 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:35 am

Well we made it through.The teacher called me today and asked a few general questions and I will get a packet in the mail that will give me info on sending anything back and payments.
The teacher said she was pretty sure they only wanted computer loans back which we didnt do and we can keep the books.But she said they did take donations of used hardbacks for those that lose them or get ruined etc.So we may send the hardbacks back for that.
We do have to pay the registration fee of 97 but we expected that.

I am going to do the Robinson Curriculum.I found some free sites and can wing it until January then Ill buy the set of discs.
I ordered Saxon 6/5 and have the Easy grammer 5/6 too.
Since Im getting a Kindle for Christmas from a relative he can use that to read all those books.LOL Im so happy.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:25 pm

I do like Saxon up through Algebra II or so. I went straight to a college calculus textbook from there - the first chapter had all the trig and precalc I needed. Didn't feel the need to go through a couple more books of Saxon.

Return to “Getting Started”