looking for good ways to teach science to grade school age

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

drew h
User

looking for good ways to teach science to grade school age

Postby drew h » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:37 am

i'm new to the idea of homeschooling & i'm looking for good ways to teach science to my grade school age children. anyone have suggestions?

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:43 am

drew h
User

thank you

Postby drew h » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 pm

David Brown
User

Postby David Brown » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:54 pm

drew h
User

Postby drew h » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:04 am

RNMomteach4
User

Postby RNMomteach4 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:04 pm

We use Supercharged Science e-science online. There are tons of vidoes, easy experiments. They have free teleclasses too. The older kids can even go through the experiments and lessons by themselves if I have to do something with the younger ones. I love that the supply lists for each lesson are made up for me and include mostly things that I have around the house. In fact, when we started the program, I had the kids go on a scavenger hunt around the house gathering up all the supplies we would need and putting them in a box so that we can find them when we need them. Every day they ask, "Is it time for science yet?" Or, "Can we do science now?" :D
Here's the link in case you want to try it out.
www.SuperchargedScience.com/esci.htm
ds:12
dd:9
ds:6
ds:4

evvaberry
User

teaching science

Postby evvaberry » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:03 am

To teach science to home school age student is done by teach the science with the practically also not only giving the theoretical knowledge only.For proper science knowledge give student practical example from daily day life experiments, so they have easy to understand the science.

Bee
User

Postby Bee » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:16 am

Munchie33
User

Postby Munchie33 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:21 am

I got our son into science by making home-made microscopes with him when he was 3. We would use a paperclip to mount a tiny water drop and look at things while out on walks. He would carry his paperclip with him everywhere so he could put some water on it anytime he saw something that interested him! He especially liked looking at snails up close.

When he was 4, we made a much better microsope out of an empty pill bottle and glass fibre (similar to http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... scope.html). This one really got him obsessed with looking at things up close - he could even see the tiny bacteria with it (magnification about 300x). This kick-started learning about cells and classifying life, and then of course we had to learn about the human body (tissues etc.), zoology (especially insects), botany, etc. He loved being able to see all the detail and knowing what all the things he was seeing were for. It was his "secret world" that was invisible unless you used a microscope... Kind of like x-ray glasses or something!

It started off very practical-based, and then moved into researching his questions and musings. We got library books and used the internet to answer these questions, and wrote stories ("a day in the life of a leaf cell") and made booklets and posters. We'd use library science textbooks to test him on areas he'd learnt. Microscopes and cells were school grade 7, for example, so we used a grade 7 test, even though he was 4 years old. Basically, whatever fitted.

Overall, we have found that often one or two really good experiments or practicals can spark an interest. Saying that it is a "secret world" hidden in plain sight makes it more fun and motivational. My husband and I always wonder aloud about everything we can, and make a habit of either looking these things up right away or writing them down to look up later if we are out. Our son has copied these habits and we encourage him as much as we possibly can. Why does putting ice in a glass of coke make it go fizzy? Why does the sky go orange when the Sun sets? Why does your breath go foggy on cold mornings? We have a curriculum which we refer to to make sure he doesn't lag behind where he should be for his age. If there's something he isn't ahead in, my husband or I will look up a good practical to get things started. It's kind of led by his own interests after we kick start things, although usually he does the kick starting.

Vicki
User

Postby Vicki » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:31 pm

We are using Spectrum Science, 5th grade. I also plan to do hands on experiments with her, and lots of field trips. We are annual pass holders at Kennedy Space Center and the Orlando Science Center. We plan to utilize those two options frequently throughout the year. :D
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
~Catherine Aird~

TheAssistant
User

Postby TheAssistant » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:41 pm

I don't know very many science curriculums, but if you're looking for activities and things to do together, there are tons of sites with science lessons and experiments. :) I highly recommend the website of the Exploratorium, and Bill Nye the Science Guy's site. Lots of neat projects to do. :)

It's also worth taking a look at the websites of science museums around the country and the world--the Smithsonian, for example. Many of them have kids' sections with games and activities, and some have podcasts, videos, or other media--great for a quick, fun lesson. :)

Hope this helps!
e-Expeditions.com: Bringing the hidden treasures of the internet to light.

Blessings4all
User

Postby Blessings4all » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:07 pm

My kids loved the Science Wiz kits. They include topics like light, energy, chemistry, and physics. They have really fun experiments.
Their website is here.
I did a review of this product here.
Many blessings,
Susan

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”