Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for Kindergarten and Homeschooling Teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkillaDo
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Tips for Kindergarten and Homeschooling Teacher Reply with quote

Enjoy and play with them while teaching. Never make them feel like you are a teacher and they must listen to you, always. Be friendly, get mixed up with their favorite activities. If possible, engage them with computers and help them understand and enjoy e-learning teaching programs. Start a healthy competition and encourage kids to do better. These are the best possible things I can suggest to you besides following what other members advised here. Good Luck Smile
Momma24
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling Preschoolers... Reply with quote

I have several children, and each of them have had different needs as preschoolers. I think the best thing that we can do is allow each child to be different. If they are ready for learning at age 4, then do it... But if they need more time, give it to them.
SkillaDo
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats perfect advice, Momma Smile What is your take on introducing e-learning tools, computers, phonics etc. for your child’s basic learning?
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young children should not be using the computer, period. Computers are only a small step up from TV in terms of damaging their attention span. They should be playing with building blocks, looking at picture books (if they can't read yet), doing arts and crafts, playing games, etc. They can maybe be introduced to computers in a limited manner after they can read and do basic math.
SkillaDo
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
Young children should not be using the computer, period. Computers are only a small step up from TV in terms of damaging their attention span. They should be playing with building blocks, looking at picture books (if they can't read yet), doing arts and crafts, playing games, etc. They can maybe be introduced to computers in a limited manner after they can read and do basic math.

I really don’t agree with you! I have been a teacher for the past 30+ years or so and I have dealt with thousands of kids (that includes my sons and grandsons). It’s very, very important for children to ENJOY what they are learning. Enjoy and play with them while teaching. I personally prefer to teach small kids with an e-learning program. You know, a child can learn better and faster in a fun, interactive learning environment. Having fun while learning improves their ability to learn. Let it be enjoyable and let a child learn at his or her own pace. Research has proved that introducing computers for learning at an early stage enhances a child’s performances later in life; also, e-learning program makes a child much more active and smarter than traditional readers. If you want to see the evidence, I can show you some, if you like!
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to challenge you on "research has proven". All the research I've seen indicates that electronic mediums erode attention span in young children, and even if we assume for the sake of argument computer software that doesn't erode attention span, real-life activities are always going to be as good or better for brain development. The only exceptions I might concede are math drill, some language arts, etc. - but those fall under the heading of "after reading and basic math". For preschool and kindergarten-age children, computers are only really clearly superior for saving you - the teacher - supervisory time.

To rebut, please post links to major studies supporting your position. I'll be looking closely at sampling size (should be at least 800-1000+), methodology, duration (need to follow the children for years), and who's funding the studies. I should note, incidently, that I have no vested interest either way, and I happen to really enjoy computers - I just think they can be highly distracting and your brain needs to be prepped before you start using them.
SkillaDo
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s true- human interaction, real life activities cannot be replaced with computer activities. My point of view is different! As a teacher, you try lots of things to actually teach the child, but many times your student doesn’t love it. He/she needs some fun while learning and needs to love what she/he is doing, most importantly. Here comes the role of technology... as i said “a child can learn better and faster in a fun, interactive learning environment. Having fun while learning improves their ability to learn”. E-learning software works as a catalyst to improve a child’s learning. ADHD, Dyslexic, and Autistic children, for one, are taught mostly with visual interactions and e-learning phonics program.

As far as attention span is concerned, I believe they are more absorbed by technology than they are while reading text books. I personally feel my concentration level and attention has increased since I got into computers because I love the technology. Have you ever experienced the same?
Here is one resource for your reference - http://www.netc.org/earlyconnections/byrequest.pdf

Another one - http://bit.ly/pEXOve
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the first PDF:

- Is it developmentally appropriate—is it consistent with how a child develops and learns, and with the child’s current developmental stage?
- Will the activity benefit the child?

For very young children the answers to these questions are usually “no.” Computer use for most children under age three does not have meaning for the child.

For children 3-4 years, it claims that using computers in combination with other teaching methods improves a variety of skills. This is in turn based on the study Haugland 1992. I looked that up:

Three classrooms of four-year-old children were exposed to computers for one hour, three days weekly, during self-selected activity time. In a fourth classroom, children received no computer exposure. Of the three classrooms exposed to computers, one classroom was exposed to nondevelopmental software (drill and practice), another to developmental software, and the third to developmental software reinforced with supplemental activities...

All the classes with computer exposure had significantly greater gains in self-esteem. Children using nondevelopmental software showed significant losses in creativity; their scores dropped 50 percent. This was not true of children with no computer exposure or of those using developmental software.

So the sampling size is maybe 100 kids, 3/4 of whom were exposed for three hours a week in a non-directed manner. Hardly conclusive of anything, though I do note the study concluded that some forms of software were actively harmful, and the primary gain for the kids using computers was self-esteem - something which homeschool kids generally don't have problems with. Do we know if tsst scores correlated to self-esteem? The study doesn't say.

The other link is just a puff piece for EasyPhonics. Of course they're going to say software is good for young children - they're selling software for young chiildren. Seems to me about the best you can claim is that developmental software may not be actively harmful to children ages 3-4, and is probably pointless for kids under age 3.[/b]
amymom
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer learning is fun for kids, but it should be a small part of their overall learning, not the main source of learning, especially for young children. There should be more tactile learning. Often people use computer programs because they are unsure of HOW to teach kids, and the computer program has been developed by "leading educators" Wink. Teaching is easier than you think, there are so many resources available to you. I have a blog preschoolmommy.blogspot.com where I post my complete lesson plans. I also have games for letter learning on there. Developmentally, young children should be spending time exploring with the most important person in their little lives, you!
SkillaDo
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you amymom. It should be a small part of their entire learning process. Kids really enjoys every bit of it. 1-2 hours in more than enough for the day. That won’t harm them in any way!
Tashathomson
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also believe that computer education should be part of kindergatrten but should not depend solely on it. Art and c raft activities with rhymes and fingerplays, tour and trips would add more benefit to the kids at kindergarten.
littlemillennium
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm new Kindergarten Teacher. I don't have any experience in this field so I was looking for such kind of tips since long time so that I can easily get settled with my kindergartener. Good see your post. Thanks for this post.
Harret56
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all! I am also happy to find this thread. It's a pity it hasn't been updated for a while, though. Any new tips?
hommeschooldad
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know that this is an older thread, but I feel it is still relevant today. I am going to come in on the side of Theodore on this one. Computers should not be used for learning at a very young age. Children have been learning for thousands of years without the computer. There is nothing better than the hands on aspect of child learning. Teaching children to love to read with a book in there hand is an experience that should be cherished. Children may have the illusion of attention when engaging in the computer, but it is the same illusion of attention that they have in watching TV. It has been proven that too much TV is bad for children, so it would be safe to conclude that the same would be for computer usage. It is important to have our children develop a fundamental knowledge of reading and math before they can use the computer.

Home School Dad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: