Help Please.

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ciniv
User

Help Please.

Postby ciniv » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:28 am

Hey my name is John, I'm 16 years old and attend Milford High School in Massachusetts. I have been thinking about homeschooling alot since well my grades are kind of low since I have diagnosed ADHD and I know your all saying oh who cares because theres alot of kids who get claim to have it and abuse the medications, but I also have a minor visual condition where my eyes move involuntarily. It makes it kind of hard to go between for instance taking notes and then looking at the board since I need to stop and focus harder to get my place back. I have one of those IEP educational plans that kind of goes along the lines of I should sit up front in class like that does alot. I'm failing the 10th grade and am going to have to stay back. I know another student in my school who has alot of trouble in school now only has to go to tutoring for 2 hours a day every other day and it is paid for by the school system. Also my cousin Kevin got in a bit of trouble and isn't aloud back at school has a tutor come 2 hours a day every other day to his house instead of having to go to school and the school pays for it. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this. I live with my gramma because both my parents suffer from major mental illnesses and shes of course old and works just enough to keep us living middle class. So we dont have alot of money to spend on this and I think it would be alot easier to escape social pressures and all to just be tutored, and make it to a diploma. Does anyone know what kind of circumstanes call for the school to pay for this or is it something alot of schools offer? Does this certain style have a name or something I could use to lookup the topic? Has anyone else ever heard of this? Anything..?

Thank you very much for the help, John.

Theodore

According to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Postby Theodore » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:06 pm

According to the federal special education law, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (20 U.S.C.1400 et seq.), the board of education must ensure that "all children with disabilities residing in the State, including children with disabilities attending private schools, regardless of the severity of the disability, and who are in need of special education and related services, are identified, located and evaluated..." This is probably what you're looking for. If you have a disability that requires a tutor, the state will provide one. Of course, the state could theoretically decide that you'll have just as much trouble with ADHD and visual problems at home as you will at school, and refuse to give you a tutor, but it won't hurt anything to ask for one.

The other option is to homeschool yourself, which basically means you'll be working year-round and spacing the material out more so you don't have to do as much per day. You can also choose your own courses and schedule, as long as they eventually fulfill the high school graduation requirements for your state (you can look these up online, or ask your school counselor) and the entrance requirements for your college of choice, assuming you will be doing college next instead of some sort of vocational training.

ciniv
User

Postby ciniv » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:02 pm

Now by homeschool myself that would be me just learning on my own because that would work I have a fairly decent IQ and my capacity to learn is pretty good. I just wasn't sure if you could homeschool without a parent.

Princess_Fyara
User

Postby Princess_Fyara » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:30 pm

Actually, a lot of Homeschooling, (especially when you get into High school,) is self teaching. Being able to use the Internet is a big plus, as there are a lot of good resources, tests, etc. online. If you are confident, 'go for it!'. :)

ciniv
User

Postby ciniv » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Hmm so I could actually complete high school online because I could find the money myself since I would use the extra time to work on several major companys I'm supposed to launch. I'm a web designer and pretty much know just about there is to know, but with school I dont have alot of time to put it all together and its taking longer then expected but the main problem is passing school. I live in Mass just for the record incase anyone forgot, but does that kind of thing pass with the school system taking school online cause I've seen some places I mean of course I'm going to try to get the tutoring first since I have the medical condition with my eyes but if not I would without a doubt go for the net education, but could someone explain or link me to someplace giving more indepth explainations like once I learn the material how do I prove to the school that I learnt it all and what kind of process is it? Like for example would I just go inform the school I was going to be home schooled then pay for the online classes and then submit to them test results and stuff?

Thank you all so much I really do appreciate it so much, John

Theodore

Re: Help Please

Postby Theodore » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:41 am

Princess_Fyara
User

Postby Princess_Fyara » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Theodore

I'd personally do written test prep using a book...

Postby Theodore » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:18 pm

ciniv
User

Postby ciniv » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:12 am

Return to “Getting Started”