Single mom working 40 hours a week, will homeschooling work

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ginaforpeace
User

Single mom working 40 hours a week, will homeschooling work

Postby ginaforpeace » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:01 am

I have one daughter who is a 6th grader in a private school, and she keeps asking if she can be homeschooled for 7th and 8th, I'm kind of uncertain if it can be done for me since I work 40 hours and a single parent. I want to make sure she has a thorough education which I'm not sure I can give her. I see alot of programs online that I can do but I'm not sure if they will be affective, and I was thinking of hiring a tutor for math, writing, and reading to help with those subjects since they are the most important.

I just want to know if any of you have advice for me..

Thank you..

ginaforpeace
User

forgot to mention where I'm from

Postby ginaforpeace » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:03 am

I forgot to mention I live in Maryland..Prince George's county

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Homeschooling only requires 2-3 hours of study per day if you do it year-round, and most of that is self-study. If it's just a question of time, you can probably put in an hour per day grading homework and helping with one or two subjects, and your daughter will do fine.

As for study methods - online is a possibiity for some subjects such as writing, reading comprehension, but I'd personally not recommend online study for math, since math requires a lot of diagrams and formulas and I personally hate getting scored wrong if I don't put the answer in exactly the same format the computer was expecting. Computers are fine for early math drill, not so much when you get on towards algebra.

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:12 am

Go to this link to read about the homeschooling laws for Maryland.

http://hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=MD

This link should be helpful also.

http://www.mhea.com/

I have known single moms who homeschool their children and work full time. It can be done. Here are some links for you to check out. Best wishes.

http://singleparenthomeschool.christian ... ation.org/

http://www.homeschooloasis.com/art_single_mom_hs.htm

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/1Parent_hs/

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/112101.htm

mamom
User

Postby mamom » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:32 am

thewellmans06
User

Postby thewellmans06 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Reiitaia
User

Postby Reiitaia » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:32 pm

I never had my parents really sit down and teach me. 99% of everything I know was self taught from a book. I do not think that it takes too many hours to homeschool your daughter if she is self motivated and you can trust her to study while you are gone.

janeho
User

Postby janeho » Sun May 01, 2011 2:53 am

Last edited by janeho on Sun May 08, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jenrom
User

Postby jenrom » Thu May 05, 2011 6:02 am

Im also new to homeschooling as well a full-time employee. Reading the forums gave me the sense that the most important thing is for the kids to have the drive and tools to learn on their own.
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
--
Loyola MD - Baltimore Business Schools

Bookmama
User

Postby Bookmama » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:21 am

Ginaforpeace -- Maybe I missed it. You said you work 40 hours a week. Is all of this from home, some of it? Is your daughter an only child?
Visit I Love Homeschooling on Facebook

If you homeschool to escape boring teaching methods, consider No-Work Spanish to learn Spanish

hsingscrapper
User

Postby hsingscrapper » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:23 pm

luluxiu
User

Postby luluxiu » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:42 pm

I left with my one-year full-time BA students, the fall of next year, we educate our children at home, I'm sure there will be a difficult moment, but I agree, if you want to do what you will do well!

Macbetht
User

Postby Macbetht » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:42 am

I 'm against any kind of home schooling.. Think that your children do not get enough knowledge at school? then you can take tutors for extra hours but it's evident that people need society to communicate ant to get ready to the grown up world. And sitting at home won't solve the problem :!:
Last edited by Macbetht on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:33 am

Why do you think homeschooling equates to sitting at home? If you homeschool year-round, you only need to spend maybe 2-3 hours on homework per day, the rest is entirely free for whatever you feel like doing. Keep in mind that sitting in class in public school isn't really socializing - the only good socialization in public school (assuming you fit in) is really recess and extracurriculars, and if you can boil 6-7 hours of classes down to 2-3 at home and then go straight to extracurriculars, why wouldn't you?

I was bored a lot of the time in many of the college courses I took. I can only imagine what public school would have been like, where the percentage of intelligent, motivated people is even lower. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the extracurriculars, but the classes would have driven me nuts.

Peg53
User

Socialization?!

Postby Peg53 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:41 pm

Homeschooling grandmother of 13 year old....are there others out there?

Return to “Getting Started”