Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Critical Thinking and Life Skills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CurtS
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Critical Thinking and Life Skills Reply with quote

We are preparing to begin our adventures in homeschooling this fall for our six children. Five of them we've adopted through the foster care system and decided that they had too many issues that public schools just were not addressing (our own son wanted to be homeschooled because he didn't want to be left out). Two of the children are particularly problematic and their psychologist suggested that, at best, we need to teach life skills and critical thinking. Conventional homeschooling courses do not seem to really address those two items and we want to build that foundation at the very beginning of their coursework this fall. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Curt
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Critical Thinking and Life Skills Reply with quote

Am I correct that life skills just covers things like telling time, counting money / making change, reading calendars / maps, measuring things, etc.? Seems to me that you don't need a formal course for that - just cover each subject individually and work especially on "head" math by using games such as Cribbage, Muggins, Monopoly, The Farming Game, etc.

As for critical thinking, go to some major news source each morning, choose several news stories, and have your children read them and deliver an opinion on the stories and the major issues involved. They should also be able to defend their opinions on request.
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Burkett's series was extremly helpful for me in money managment, balancing a checkbook, etc. So were simple home ec. classes.

There's things like "the learning bank"...

Teen books...

Also basics on how a car works.

Critical thinking "class" was every day in my family. When we watched TV, movies, or the news my dad would always ask, "what are they trying to tell us, what do you think about that, what does God think about that?"
mom1967
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Games and online activities Reply with quote

Here are couple things to improve thinking skills:

"Rush hour" series from thinkfun
"Brick by brick"

Also the website Beestar offers GT Math besides Math and ELA weekly exercises. Every week, kids are challenged with critical thinking and spatial analysis problems in the worksheets they registered for. beestar.org also times the exercise and logs the results for parents to review the answers and monitor their progress at any time. Sign up and math programs are free. Definitely worth a try.
rafismom
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critical Thinking Co. has Building Thinking Skills which I used previously. It does a good job of helping kids learn to solve problems.

Jane in MN
mom1967
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they send coupon if you register?
kerry1968
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a book called Math for The Real World. It focuses on real life skills such as check book, tax forms, budgets, gas mileage and such. this is the stuff that no one taught me. I just learned as i went.
megan
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Games and online activities Reply with quote

mom1967 wrote:
Here are couple things to improve thinking skills:

"Rush hour" series from thinkfun
"Brick by brick"

Also the website Beestar offers GT Math besides Math and ELA weekly exercises. Every week, kids are challenged with critical thinking and spatial analysis problems in the worksheets they registered for. beestar.org also times the exercise and logs the results for parents to review the answers and monitor their progress at any time. Sign up and math programs are free. Definitely worth a try.

"We have also been using Beestar for half a year. Emma really likes it. She does the free math practice once a week and we are considering registering other programs for her.

Beestar.org is a great helper for us parents. Emma didn't like math before, but after doing practice of Beestar, she begins to love counting and calculating.

Hope other kids have a try."
Decrease
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fallacy Detective by the Bluedorns is a good book. Applies logic in an everyday manner. You can get it at www.christianlogic.com

Thanks
alexsmom
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are the kids?? If the kids who are in need of life skills training are middle school or older, "life skills" could imply taking a bus/figuring out routes and schedules, basic cooking, basic banking, filling out job applications, job interview role playing, household budgeting, etc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: