CLEP and similar coursework on a transcript

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kimkg
User

CLEP and similar coursework on a transcript

Postby kimkg » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:44 pm

My son did a year of Abeka Grammar, and then also took the English Composition with Essay CLEP. Do I give him 2 units on his transcript, one for "Grammar" and one for the CLEP?

Similarly, he did an Analyzing Literature curriculum, and also took the Analyzing & Interpreting Lit CLEP. It seems he should get both units since he did the work, but I don't want his transcript to look redundant or exaggerated.

Kim

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:48 pm

One high school credit is equal to 120 to 180 hours of work. As a general rule, your teen should spend about 50 minutes on each class, five days a week.

If your son spent approximately this amount of time on the Abeka Grammar and the Analyzing Literature, then you can give him a credit for both. (in addition to his CLEP credits) You could possibly call the classes "Grammar" and "Literature" on the transcript (or whatever names you choose) and the CLEP credits would be called by their specific names. Did he do these things at different times? You can count them in different semesters or years.

And for his CLEP exams, it doesn't matter how much time he spent studying, etc. It still counts as one credit because it is equivalent to a college class.

kimkg
User

Postby kimkg » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Will the Grammar course not be seen as coursework in preparation for taking the CLEP? He did complete the curriculum, so that warrants a unit, and he also took the CLEP, which warrants a unit, but is it basically the same unit?

Likewise, he completed US History 1 curriculum, and took the CLEP. Two units or one??

Kim

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 pm

I would probably say just count it as one......if he was using the curriculum as a way to prepare/study for the CLEP.

My son studied for and took the U.S. History 1 CLEP this year and I counted it as only one credit.

Return to “High School / College Prep”